1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folders please!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by rcase13, Sep 26, 2013.

1. rcase13

rcase13 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I see threads from 2006 asking for this. It seems obvious. Please allow us to have folders! Then I could put my sons stuff in his folders and wife's stuff in her folders. It would make me a better husband!! :)

2. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
  3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    By folders I assume you mean user profiles? If so +1 for me as well.

4. csell

csell Member

Apr 16, 2007
    How would you implement this? How would Tivo know what show goes in what folder? Would you have to specify where to place it with every show you setup to record or would it just be on season passes? Just curious how you see this working. But for the record, I do like the idea.

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    My vision is that when you create a new recording or SP one of the options would be to select which user the recording was for, with the default being an "All" option that would put it in everyone's list. If multiple users request the same recording then they would each see the recording in their list, but when they deleted it it would only be deleted from their list. The show would only actually be deleted if all users that requested it delete it or it's deleted from the "All" folder. Priorities and tuner allocation could be a bit trickier, but with all TiVos having 4-6 tuners now that may not actually be much of a concern. And perhaps they could prevent kids from messing with priorities by password protecting the season pass manager via parental controls.

6. late for dinner

late for dinner Past Expiration Date

May 17, 2013
    Colorado...
    I'd like it if you could tag shows as to who has watched them :)

7. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Do what I did and get a second DVR for the other user. Helps with targeted suggestions also.

8. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    For starters a simply 'Archived' flag would go a long way - my TiVo is only 25% full and I'm already dreading all the scrolling (I'm coming from a system with much better list management).

Add folders (or profiles) - in my book that would solve the issue that TiVo has with the list of recordings. It's a luxury problem, though, so I'm not holding my breath.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    We already have folder but profiles would be a welcome addition.
    I'm already at 80% full on my Roamio Pro. With profiles I could organize things better by having profiles for say news programs, new shows, reality shows etc. It would make things much easier to organize my current 300 programs.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You record way to much TV! ;)

But seriously 80% of a Pro is about 380 hours of programming. If you watched 8 hours a day 7 days a week it would take you about 1.5 months just to watch what you have now, and that's assuming you didn't record anything new in that time. Someone needs to call the people at hoarders. ;)

11. rcase13

rcase13 New Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I imported several videos from my home computer using TiVo Desktop. Now all those home videos have filled up the list and make it very hard to find recent recordings. A simple folder would fix that.

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you use pyTiVo you can assign metadata to those home recordings and get them into a group.

13. yokito

yokito New Member

Jan 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Is there a bookkeeper hiding in this moderator? What else is the large hard drive good for? And who says that we have to watch everything that we record?

Did I sign something that I'm not aware off when I got the Roamio?

:)

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm at 83% now :D

I rarely delete anything but I think I might need to start before some shows get deleted I want to watch. Since I also don't typically use KUID. But I also need to find out what other new shows are in the NEW SHOWS SP so I can delete the SP. That is what is really adding to my list. SInce most of my SPs are set to only keep 3, 5, or 10 episodes so they can only add so much.

Although the NEW SHOWS SP has been nice. Usually I spend a bunch of time deciding what shows I will watch, and what channels and time they are on. But with the New Shows SP I never looked at anything. And once a show recorded that I liked, I created an SP for the specific show.

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Nah just ribbing Aaron. I've teased him about this before.

16. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    I would also like to see folders.
    I didn't realize how much until I switched from a 2 tuner PremiereXL + Comcast 2 tuner DVR
    to a single RoamioPro.
    The Comcast DVR was used for Sitcoms and other shows I didn't watch, but the rest of the family did.
    Now the list goes on for pages with a lot mixed in.
    If I could setup folders for the Season Passes and individual recordings like:
    Movies
    SitComs
    Sports
    Drama
    etc.

then I could find what I want a little quicker.

bdog

17. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    The more I thought about this, the more I would prefer if tags could be assigned to recordings and a my shows listing that shows each tag as a folder.

Setting up a SP to automatically assign certain tags.

Ex: The Middle could have a tag for Sitcom, Wife, Daughter
    This show with add those tags to each episode.
    Then if Wife watches but not daughter, wife removes her tag but stills shows in daughters tag folder as unwatched.

It's getting more difficult for entire family to sit down and watch shows together, so need an easy way to differentiate whats unwatched by who.

bdog

18. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Custom folders will not happen! Ever!

We have talked about this a lot. TiVo's design strategy doesn't support a highly customizable environment and there are very good reasons for this.

Again, you will NEVER see "custom folders" on TiVo. It would require more user configuration then TiVo would ever approve.

What I do think TiVo will and should implement are profiles.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Agreed. TiVo likes to take a KISS approach. They're not big on adding complex options that only power users can figure out.

Profiles are the holy grail for families, but may not be that much use to an individual. Although there was some talk about a 3 tier My Shows where things were not only grouped by show but also by category. that might be useful for individuals.

20. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    I see your point. It would be a lot to setup and maintain.
    Not sure what your profiles feature entails.
    Is there another thread that describes the profile feature request?

bdog