1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flaky Mini....all others ok

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by miketx, Jul 9, 2014.

1. miketx

miketx New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I have a Roamio Plus and 3 Minis. The one Mini in my Kitchen keeps acting up.
    This morning it said it lost the main DVR, but when I tested the network connection via the menus, everything was ok and the Mini started working.....but with no audio. I've had the no audio problem with this mini before...and a restart is the only thing that fixes it.

My Roamio and other two minis work flawlessly....never a problem. I'm thinking I need to ask Tivo for a replacement. Thoughts?
  2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Assuming the Mini is connected by HDMI, the audio drop is most likely a "handshake" issue between the Mini and TV.

The quickest fix would be to switch to the component cable kit or use an hdmi switch.

Long term, you could email margret-at-tivo-dot-com and give her your TV's make and model and let her know you have an HDMI handshake bug with the Mini. Hopefully she'll forward that along to development.

As for the network connection, was this a one-off, or a regular event?
  3. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    I think the first step is to swap locations of the non-working Mini with one of your working Minis (swap just the Mini, keep all the cables at the current location). If it remains non-working, then call TiVo. If it starts working then investigate component, HDMI, network connections.
  4. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Active Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I was going to suggest this as well. It's the best way to determine if the problem is a defective Mini, or just a bad cable somewhere or a handshake issue. If it turns out to be an HDMI handshake issue, which could be indicated by the audio problems you were speaking of, then the breakout component cables would be the solution.