1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fix Tivo HD or upgrade to Premier?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by johndierks, Mar 2, 2013.

1. johndierks

johndierks New Member

Sep 5, 2002
    I have a Tivo HD, whose fan has just bit it. I could spend $25 to replace the fan or just upgrade to a new box. Thoughts? Tivo has refurbed Premiers for $99. $75 worth it for the new box?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try blow the dust off the fan and if that does not work, you can get a replacement for around $15. The size is a 70mm X 70mm X 25mm. It does not matter if the connector has 2 or 3 wires as it will only use the red and black. They just slip onto the pins on the main board. The 3rd wire is not connected.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you have lifetime on the TivoHD, it is definitely worth replacing the fan.

If you have a monthly subscription, it gets more complicated.
    With the Premiere, you have to get a new service plan.
    You cannot yet transfer subs from an older Tivo to a Premiere, unless you are willing to pay full price for the hardware (~ $250, IIRC).
    Otherwise, your monthly cost will likely increase to $14.95/mo.
    Depending on what you pay monthly for the TivoHD, you'll have to factor that cost in with your decision.

4. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Worth is always highly subjective. I can't tell you if it's worth it to you or not. When faced with the same issue recently, I replaced the fan but there really isn't anything compelling me to upgrade to the Premiere and I have lifetime on my THD. YMMV.

5. johndierks

johndierks New Member

Sep 5, 2002
    I have the $12.95 monthly sub on this box. I'm thinking I'll just fix the fan since premier doesn't seem much better.

How is it that I've had Tivo since 2003, and it hasn't changed since then?

6. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    ?? Not sure what TiVo you had in 2003 but it has changed radically since then. Heck the Premiere is a significant change from your TiVo HD. Now if any of that change is worth anything to you is another matter all together.