1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Impressions

Discussion in 'TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)' started by nrc, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1 of 27
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Live now on my S3. And awesome. There's still some occasional slowness in the response to remote inputs but not enough to cause problems. I love the way they let you select among upcoming showings, rentals or purchase for a program. Love the episode guides and love the cast galleries.

Must have access to this from any program entry (guide, current program, now playing) as soon as it's out of Beta.

Kudos Tivo.

2. Jan 7, 2009 #2 of 27
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #3 of 27
    Enrique

Enrique Active Member

May 15, 2006
    I just played with it for a few second, but for me it's speed. It takes forever to set up a SP(or even move about the menus). Hopefully Tivo can work on that.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #4 of 27
    modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    I'm looking forward to playing with this.

Are there any shortcuts for entering letters - something like entering letters on a cell phone with just the 9 nbr keys?

5. Jan 7, 2009 #5 of 27
    rdodolak

rdodolak New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    The search beta is a nice improvement over the current capability. I do agree that the beta seems a little slow and have experienced some small delays or pauses this afternoon. However, I'll caulk this up to the increased demand on the TiVo servers this afternoon as last night around midnight pacific I didn't notice these small issues.

I'm looking forward to when this feature goes live and I can only hope TiVo brings HD menus to the rest of the applications.

6. Jan 7, 2009 #6 of 27
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I just tried Tivo Search out and it was more responsive than I thought it would be.
    Especially since I just put in a new upgraded HD (currently on v9.4) also while transferring shows from my PC.
    :up:

7. Jan 7, 2009 #7 of 27
    SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Mine is very slow.. 3-5 sec delay every time i move the cursor.

I like that when i look up American Idol, i only see 1 entry, and not 10 entries for all the Fox channels i receive.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #8 of 27
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I found this while looking for something else in menus (before I saw the announcement here). I've tried it twice. Both times when I click on it I get the Please Wait screen for 4-5 minutes, then it switches to Live TV.

9. Jan 8, 2009 #9 of 27
    modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    When it was loading earlier, it was nice, but definitely too slow.

Right now I'm getting a "Scheduled Maintenance" screen.

10. honus

honus New Member

May 24, 2007
    I don't see any difference, other than mine says "BETA VERSION" on it.

11. janry

janry New Member

Jan 2, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I tried it last evening and gave up. Couldn't get anywhere. Maybe everyone was trying it during prime time.

12. Unseen Llama

Unseen Llama New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Fishers, IN
    Same issue. Tried to do a simple search for Lost and it was excruciatingly slow. I don't know if it's the Tivo waiting for results or if it's the UI that's bogged down. Either way, it wasn't a pleasant experience. :thumbsdown:

Now with that said, it is a beta prodcut and I do like the new interface. Can't wait to see what else comes out of CES from Tivo! :D

13. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
  14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Tried it Thursday morning and speed was good.

From the top browser of shows/movies by graphic I found the show "Leverage" that I did not know about and saw I could set up Wishlists or one off or season pass by just playing around in the UI some.

What I saw lacking here though is that I would rather have scheduled the "leverage" season pass on my Series 2 DT box and would have liked an option for which DVR, similar to how online Scheduling works.

I could roll around by show names or actors within shows and the filter was there though not complete from my point of view.

overall a very favorable first impression

15. Ceciliachavez75

Ceciliachavez75 Tivo kitten

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    Not sure if its me or my tivo but, the new search feature is blurry and extremly hard to read. It looks wierd.

16. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    CRT TV or some other type?
    S3 or HD or HD XL?

17. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Are you using your TiVo on a high-definition TV? If so, what output format do you have set under Settings -> Video -> Output format?

Finally, what size is your TV and what is your viewing distance?

18. modnar

modnar Active Member

Oct 15, 2000
    Arkansas, USA
    Using it last night as much quicker! It was nice being able to setup Season Passes, read old episode descriptions, etc., all from one interface. Performance still has room for improvement, but it was much better.

19. EvilMidniteBombr

EvilMidniteBombr what bomz at midnite

May 25, 2006
    Parts...
    Here's my setup. TiVoHD on wifi network using a TiVo brand wifi adapter. My network signal strength is between 47% - 50%. My ISP is Comcast Cable with very good speeds.

I've tried the new search several times now and I have to say that, for me, it is unusable. It is excruciatingly slow. It takes between 2:10 to 4:30 minutes to get to the point where I can input text. I am doing a search for "Smallville" right now. After selecting it from the search results it took 3 minutes 23 seconds before I could do anything else. I then select "Upcoming" and a few seconds later it selects the next episode. I click on it to get details, 1 minute 26 seconds later I can select "Options". Back to the previous screen takes another minute 25 seconds.

This feature is painfully slow. The same can be said for Youtube as well as TiVo Search. Speed them up and I might be able to use them without going mad.

20. Ceciliachavez75

Ceciliachavez75 Tivo kitten

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    I have a 27" tv, not flat screen. I have a hd tivo but my tv is not hd.