1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fios with no Cablecards?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by khargy, Apr 17, 2014.

1. khargy

khargy New Member

Nov 6, 2006
    I'm considering getting rid of the cablecards on my series 3 (I have another Tivo I would use w/ cablecards still). The idea is two use this Tivo just for HD local channels or any other unencrypted channels that might be available. Has any one tried this with FIOS? In the DC/VA area?

2. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It'll work, but you get no guide data

3. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Though reportedly if you were to buy one of the non-activated Motorola M cards off eBay you would at least have the possibility of channel mapping in the guide as I recall.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Just run with an antenna for the OTA and get the signal for free and uncompressed. Guide data included!

5. dougdingle

dougdingle HD Tech

Jul 4, 2007
    West Coast
    Does the guide data not come from TiVo and not the cableco or Fios? As long as a TiVo subscription is maintained, guide data should flow, no?

6. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The guide data would come if you went OTA, but Tivo does not provide channel mapping for guide data on a ClearQAM system, you need the CableCARD to get the channel mappings..

So no guide data, since you can't map the channels.. technically you ARE getting the data, just not in a way that's usable.