1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIOS with MOTOROLA QIP6416 - How to add capacity

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jauburn, Aug 19, 2006.

1. jauburn

jauburn New Member

May 18, 2006
    This MOTOROLA QIP6416 box that came with my FIOS TV service has a small hard drive. Yet the box has a USB port and two firewire ports on the back. Can either of these be used to add a hard drive?

Is anyone adding space to this box somehow?

Thanks.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    This is not a Tivo-based DVR, so I doubt anyone here knows if it's possible to upgrade its hard drive.

3. teasip

teasip Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Since you do not "own" the box, no you most likely cannot upgrade the box. As for the external ports I believe I read somewhere that they are not active as of this time, but don't quote me on it.

4. Dssturbo1

Dssturbo1 New Member

Feb 22, 2005
    ask the question over at the avs forums hdtv recorder section thread and maybe get more help

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The simple answer is no, you cannot upgrade the storage capacity on Motorola QIP6416 used by FiOS. The USB and SATA ports are non-functional, and the Firewire is only supported for recording to DTCP-authorized devices like D-VHS VCRs.

If you tamper with the box, you get a $600-$700 line item added to your bill, just as you do on Comcast.

My advice -- start saving for the Tivo Series3.