1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIOS vs. TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cpittman, Aug 10, 2006.

1. cpittman

cpittman New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Irving, TX
    This is my first time on TiVo community. I am glad I found you through Google.

Despite claims by Verizon help desk to the contrary, I am certain that other TiVo owners have encountered my recent and ongoing problem. Yesterday, Verizon installed a FIOS "triple play" (voice, data, video) at my residence. We love it...with one exception:

Our TiVos apparently will not control channel changing on the new Motorola set-top boxes. The ComCast box we had until 24 hours ago (also Motorola) was controlled by TiVo through the serial port with no problem. When I attempted to rebuild the connection between TiVo and the new FIOS standard definition set-top box provided by Verizon, the TiVo setup procedure informed me that it could not change channels.

In going through the Verizon FIOS TV User Guide, I noticed on page 51 that the set-top box tells us not to plug anything into the serial port--and that the IR port (the 2nd method TiVo can control channel changing)--is not enabled.

I am NOT a techie. I only know my kids want their TiVo, as do their parents.

I suppose it goes without saying that we chose NOT to go with the Verizon DVR in favor of remaining with TiVo. Is this a conspiracy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

CP

2. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I understand the serial port not being enabled but how can the IR port not be enabled? Do they use and RF remote control?

Most discussions here have assumed that you could simply use the IR blaster.

3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Which Motorola box is it? And did you try IR anyway?

4. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    They may be referring to the IR *out* port that many cable boxes have to control VCRs, etc.

5. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    Good call, mz - that's probably it.

6. cpittman

cpittman New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Irving, TX
    I will have to try to find an IR blaster cable. My TiVos do not have such cables. I simply assumed that the Users Manual was factual in stating that the IR port is not enabled. Has anyone been able to get automatic channel changing through the use of IR? The Motorola box is the QIP 2500-2.

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Did your QIP 2500-2 come with a remote control? An IR remote control?

8. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes, it does.

9. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    cpittman,

You'll have to control the Motorola box using the Tivo's IR interface.

Be sure to start saving for a Series3 HDTV Tivo as well. :)

10. cpittman

cpittman New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Irving, TX
    Will do re TiVo Series 3 savings. I hope it will have more HD capacity than the VZ box appears to have (per specs).

I appreciate the help from everyone. I have ordered two IR blaster cables from the Internet. If anyone needs the URL I will send it as a reply to a request at my email address.

11. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    The S3 has a 250GB drive and a SATA port to enable expansion via an external drive. You'll get TONS more space with the S3 than you would with the 160GB QIP6416 model Verizon Fios offers.

12. pdhenry

pdhenry Safety Pin

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Since the box has an IR remote the IR blasters will do the trick for you (assuming the TiVo has the codes - but it would be unusual for it not to).

Just curious (it'll be years before it's here, I'm sure) - what is Verizon charging for the FIOS "triple play"?

13. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Verizon FiOS is $79.90 for 200 digital channels and 5Mbps Internet (with 2Mbps upstream). That includes the cost of a SD box if you subscribe for a year, but does not include the cost of the HDTV DVR, which is $12.99/mo. In some markets, the 5Mbps Internet plan has been upgraded to 10Mbps and the 15Mbps plan has been upgraded to 20Mbps, at no extra charge.

Verizon Voicewing phone service is $19.95/mo for 500 minutes or $24.95 for unlimited minutes, but you get $5.00 off for Triple Play. Hence, the "triple play" price for 200 digital channels, 5Mbps Internet (with 2Mbps upstream), and 500 minute phone service is $94.85/mo. With unlimited phone service, its $99.95/mo.

Verizon just introduced a multiroom software upgrade to the HDTV DVR which allows you to access its recordings on the non-DVR boxes, but they want $19.99/mo for that functionality. The DVR is still limited to 160Gb capacity; the box has a SATA port but it is non-functional.

You can see pics of the FiOS DVR software right here (broadband required).

14. ah30k

ah30k Active Member

Jan 8, 2006
    The $19.99 includes the HD-DVR which costs $12.95 so the incremental cost of multi-room is around $7.

15. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    Just wanted to be sure:

FiOS DOES indeed offer cable cards, right?

16. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Yes, at $2.95 each. It's an outlet fee so you should be able to get two for the Series3 Tivo for $2.95 total. Multistream cards should be available from Verizon early next year.

17. daneyul

daneyul Member

Jun 24, 2006
    The IR cables will work (I use them) but they are slow and unreliable. Changing channels now takes a few seconds, and holding the up/down channel is painful--the FIOS box can't keep up, and tends to get lost.

The best option by far is for FIOS to enable the Serial port on the Set top boxes. The port is there, and other providers who use the same model STB's have them enabled and work fine with TIVO. Fios has just not chosen to enable them.

Anyone who is using or thinking about using FIOS with TIVO, please let Verizon know this is an important feature. The Verizon FIOS TV number is: (888) 553-1555

I've talked to them, and they indicated it probably will be updated eventually via firmware, but if they get a lot of calls, this will of course probably happen much faster...

18. passatdream

passatdream New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    I have FiOS here in Texas and I LOVE IT. I have my Tivo working just fine with the Motorola set top box. If you need help getting it setup, send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.

Chris.
    Denton, TX

19. daneyul

daneyul Member

Jun 24, 2006
    When you say its working just fine, does just fine include waiting 3 to 6 extra seconds for the channels to change via the IR cables? And how does it work with the up/down channel buttons? Can you surf the channels as quickly as you could with TIVO alone, or with a serial port interface? Or does the STB lag waaay behind, and get lost sometimes?

The slow channel changing of IR cables with the FIOS set top box is not just fine to me. It's a huge annoyance....

20. ashu

ashu User title defunct

Nov 8, 2002
    MD
    I've ALWAYS used IR and I've NEVER been unhappy. Note, I don't have FIOS, but hope to have it soon.

I've had Dish regular, HD receivers, and Cable boxes galore (DCT 2000 series Motorlas, Sci Atl boxes, DVRs and now a Moto 6412 HD DVR, likely will be the device I get from VZW while I wait out the S3)

I realize that those used to Serial Port channel changes have it better/smoother, but really, pulling your hair out is an overreaction to being 'limited' to IR. It works just great, with nary a channel miss on mutliple TiVos, over the many years and boxes!

The MORE important thing is ... with a TiVo in your possession, why are you even channel surfing any more? Is your NPL empty? :D