1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FiOS restriction --- Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Phantom Gremlin, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1 of 813
    Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin New Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    From what I've read about FiOS, there has never been any sort of restriction on transferring files from box to box. But I just browsed to another of my TiVo HD boxes and saw:

Transferring prohibited by the copyright holder.

I don't really care, this was for some programs on Disney HD and Disney XD HD that some family members recorded.

But this is disturbing if it means that this CCI stuff is now creeping into FiOS.

Edit: not all programs are restricted. Perhaps it's just movies. E.g. it's OK to transfer Phineas and Ferb, but not OK to transfer the 1994 movie Blank Check.

2. Jun 10, 2010 #2 of 813
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Georgia
    Service providers are, of course, permitted to apply some of the CCI restrictions, by their own choice (though generally FiOS has not), but what you may be experiencing is a case where the content provider is requiring it.

3. Jun 10, 2010 #3 of 813
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My vote goes towards Disney requesting it. They are anal when it comes to copy protection.

4. Jun 10, 2010 #4 of 813
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Good catch! It looks like Verizon has started putting copy protection on virtually ALL content that's non-broadcast. Previously, the only protected (can't be transferred content) I ever had was on stuff that I downloaded from Amazon or video on demand like podcasts, never recordings. I've never seen stuff protected like stuff from CNN, CNBC and HDNet. I know because I archive some stuff from there.

Now, I'm seeing these protected: Star Trek Enterprise (HDNet), Larry King Live (CNNI) Mythbusters (DSCP), Mad Money (CNBC) and even stuff in COMEDY and HLN!

It looks like no recordings before 6/8 (such as eps of the above) had this damned protection. Perhaps that what the monkeys at Verizon/Frontier screwed up with their outage on 6/7. :mad: It's easier to check using kmttg (and probably TiVo Desktop).

I've archived bits of Mad Money and entire eps of Enterprise before. I've also set more shows to record that I've archived in the past w/o no problem (xferred using kmttg, transcoded then burned to AVCHD format) to see if they're also now protect. We'll see in the new few days.

I've started http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7982774#post7982774 asking non-FiOS people to check their recordings. I think Verizon ****ed up. :mad:

If it turns out to be a FiOS-only thing, it'll be time to call CSR. If it's their fault and they don't yank the protection crap, I'll be dropping them as soon as my commitment is up. I do archive stuff to AVCHD and this would really suck.

5. Jun 10, 2010 #5 of 813
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I also can add HBOHD. I recorded Smash His Camera on 6/8 and other THD's in the house list it with a red icon and will not transfer! I can understand HBO, but Mythbusters?

I wonder if a call to Verizon would help or if we would just gat a "HUH" response?

I may check dslreports to see what people are saying!

6. Jun 10, 2010 #6 of 813
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I wonder if this is related to the sell-off of some FIOS areas to Frontier.
    The few people who've specifically noticed issues live in the affected areas. So maybe Frontier is setting the copy protection.

(I've got FIOS and haven't noticed any protected recordings, but I'm in a non-Frontier area. I'll try to remember to double check on the no protected recordings tonight)

7. Jun 10, 2010 #7 of 813
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Yep, I think Frontier is setting this. They're going to lose me as a customer very very quickly. First step is the regular home phone line (hello Vonage or something similar), the next is the tv.

8. Jun 10, 2010 #8 of 813
    cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If this is their policy moving forward, they will lose me as a customer as soon as my commitment's over. I might even try to wrangle out of it before it's over, if I can.

9. Jun 10, 2010 #9 of 813
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

As soon as July 1st hits, you will be eligible to leave Frontier unless you re-upped within the past few months. They will also lose me as a customer too if this is how they run their business.

10. Jun 10, 2010 #10 of 813
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I thought the VZ to Frontier State approval required them to change nothing.

11. Jun 10, 2010 #11 of 813
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    On their end, they're not technically changing anything. But in our eyes, it's a big change!

12. Jun 10, 2010 #12 of 813
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Per my private dealings with VZ_Frank on VerizonDirect this MAY be an error.

Film at 11, as they say on the T and V.

13. Jun 10, 2010 #13 of 813
    Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Active Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    Just checked and I have no copy restrictions on recent recordings, even for recording from premium channels.

14. Jun 10, 2010 #14 of 813
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    I believe it has something to do with our CableCard outage...a kind of a part 2.

I got off the phone with FIOS support and they said they had nothing to do with it...it is our TIVO's. Sure it is!

15. Jun 10, 2010 #15 of 813
    cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Great... :rolleyes: I'm still at work and can't check if it's still a problem. Hopefully enough customers scream bloody murder and are able to get them to fix this.

16. Jun 10, 2010 #16 of 813
    MatthewH12

MatthewH12 New Member

May 30, 2010
    I'm in Delaware with FiOS, and nothing I recorded shows as protected for me except my podcasts.

17. Jun 10, 2010 #17 of 813
    cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is confined to the states being transferred (or already partly transferred?) to Frontier. The OP, MSPAN and myself fall into that category.

18. Jun 10, 2010 #18 of 813
    MPSAN

MPSAN Active Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    The Oregonian has a person who loves this stuff. She has already gone after Verizon!

19. Jun 11, 2010 #19 of 813
    richsadams

richsadams Active Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I just spent about two hours on the phone with VZ support. Details are below, but feel free to skip to the last paragraph for the outcome.

MPSAN and I talk often and while I was on the road he made me aware of the copyright problem. I got home and sure enough we have the same issue. The copyright protection is arbitrary as far as I can tell but it covers everything from HBO to CNN. Not just some programs, everything is flagged on every channel that's affected but not all channels are affected. CNN? That clearly tells me they've made a mistake. It began late on 6/7, the same date that the outage happened (we lost all of our cable channels above 554). Someone flipped a switch and caused a lot of us a lot of grief.

Getting our cable cards back up and running only required a couple of calls. This go round it was fairly painful and the end result was no result at all. Initially I had to explain to the CSR what a copyright flag is, the different types, etc. That was mildly surprising, but not unexpected. Then he commenced to communicate everything I was saying to a tech person on the other end of his computer keyboard. The back-and-forth went on for a long time. Initially I would tell the CSR something, he'd type it into his workstation and the tech would write something back.

Obviously neither one of them had run into this. The first thing they tried was reinitializing one of my cable cards. I read them the S/N and they did their thing. Everything went away and eventually came back, and I quickly recorded a couple of channels that were protected prior and they were still flagged. So I talked, the CSR listened, typed and read back what the tech told him. The responses included...

- You should be receiving all of the channels now (I was already receiving all of the channels)
    - The cable cards are working
    - This doesn't have anything to do with the outage
    - The cable cards don't copyright the recordings
    - TiVo copyrights the recordings
    - We can't control what TiVo does
    - Copyright flags have always been there
    - The tech knows a dude that has TiVo and he can't transfer recordings to another TiVo (seriously, he said exactly that)
    - The recordings are blocked by TiVo
    - This is a TiVo problem
    - Verizon is copyrighting all programming except local stations (not the case)
    - All recordings are copyrighted...always
    - This is a TiVo problem
    - Transferring between TiVo's is no longer allowed (seriously?)
    - We don't know why some programs are copyrighted, we think someone is working on it.

The last answer came after a very long period of waiting on hold listening to bad music. It was obvious that whoever the CSR was communicating with talked to someone else...finally. But that really didn't make any difference.

The disappointing reality is that right now no one at Verizon (at least we the Great Unwashed can get to) has a clue as to what's going on. I've no idea if this is part of their preparation for the Frontier takeover. I suspect it's just someone's panic induced error when they tried to fix the multi-state outage. However if it is I'm really inclined to cancel VZ and go OTA and just download the shows we want to see with Boxee, iTunes, Netflix, etc. Hopefully they'll get this fixed though...and soon.

20. Jun 11, 2010 #20 of 813
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    Good post rich. I say screw Frontier if this is how they're going to run things. I can run my S3 box off OTA, sell my Premiere box and go back to DirecTV yesterday.

This can't be a TiVo problem...BUT I know a few people who have Windows Media Centers and the like, and their cards are a-ok...and they're in Frontier territory.