1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fios Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by chucka, Feb 3, 2014.

1. chucka

chucka newbie

Jan 30, 2014
    Fort Worth TX
    I don't think I've seen this question in my search on the site so forgive me if it's been answered before.

I bought an xl4 and will be going to verizon to pick up a cable card this week. but after some google'ing I came across a verizon fios page that says this.

Is TiVo compatible with FiOS TV?

TiVo® is compatible with FiOS TV. You can use a Set-Top Box or a CableCard for your TiVo device.

With a Set-Top Box you receive all the FiOS TV features.

If you use a CableCard, certain Interactive Media Guide, Widget, and VOD services will not be accessible.

I know I can use a cable card, but what do they mean by "use a set top box"?

this is the first thread I have started on here so take it easy on me :)
    was a long time series 2 user and just recently found out I can use a Tivo box for Fios so I got a xl4 for my man cave (my wife calls it my office).

2. shamilian

shamilian New Member

Mar 26, 2003
    If you use a set-top box instead of a TiVo, you have access to vod
  3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    You use a CableCard in anything Series3 or newer, which would include a Premiere XL4. The "set-top" box comment is intended to cover the use of an old Series 1 or 2 Tivo with Fios, just like any other Series 2 with Digital Cable would have been setup using the IR blasters and such. With set-top box/Series 2, you still get On Demand, etc. With CableCard, you do not.
  4. chucka

chucka newbie

Jan 30, 2014
    Fort Worth TX
    ok, got it. i was just making sure I can't bypss a cable card by hooking it up to my spare free box.

totally understand now. thanks!