1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FiOs Multi-TiVo Sharing HD content

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kcossabo, Jul 16, 2013.

1. kcossabo

kcossabo Member

Dec 8, 2007
    All

I am in Northern Virginia (Round Hill), I have 2 TiVo HD and 1 TiVo Premier on ComCast with all the needed networking and Cable Cards....

I can record HD content (excluding Pay / Premier content like HBO / ShowTime) and watch it on another TiVo. Though I think this is a basic value of multiple TiVo, what I do is

1) Record ABC in HD or FXHD or SciFi on the Premier
    2) I go to either of the TiVo HD and watch the content that was recorded.

Comcast flags the HBO / ShowTime as copy protected and can not be moved (as above).

If I am thinking of switching to FiOs, how do I verify that I can move HD (non-Premium Content) around and not loose functions? Does anyone do this on FiOS, or know their policy?

2. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    fios also sets copy restrictions on HBO so you wont be able to transfer them to the HD. I dont know about showtime, someone else can chime in on that.

if you had two premiere's or a premiere and mini's, you would be able to stream that copy protected HBO show to another premiere or mini regardless if you were on comcast or fios.

3. kcossabo

kcossabo Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thank you, so they do not on ABC HD, CBS HD, FXHD, etc.

I am ok with the HBO like channels bring marked but not ALL HD.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Fios copy-protects HBO and Cinemax. Pretty much everything else can be copied.

Edit: Confused Showtime with 'Max. It's HBO and Cinemax that are protected.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'm on FiOS and have no problem transferring recordings from the Showtime channels. It's the recordings from the HBO and Cinemax channels that I cannot transfer.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    If you have (all) Premieres, the copy protection doesn't matter, because you can stream everything anyway. I can't copy anything except broadcast channels on my Time Warner nonsense, but everything streams. This would only matter if I wanted to copy shows to my computer or iPad, but I don't care about that. (Bit-torrent exists for a reason.)

7. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Oops. I had them mixed up. It is HBO/Max.

8. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I have all Premieres and the Copy Protection can still matter. If my girlfriend asks me to record a show and take to her house, if I can't transfer it then I have to use other means to get it there.

Normally I can transfer it to a Premiere or a hard drive using TiVo Dekstop. Then I can bring that Premiere or a hard drive to her house. Then we can either watch it on the Premiere or I use the hard drive and it's transferred to her TiVos using TiVo Desktop. If I can't transfer the shows, then it's more of a pain to deal with.