1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fios' free copying to end

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by wmcbrine, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1 of 119
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
  2. Jun 27, 2012 #2 of 119
    Generic

Generic Now in Dolby Digital

Dec 26, 2005
    SoCal
    I would bet it is HBO and possibly Cinemax.

3. Jun 27, 2012 #3 of 119
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Considering that Verizon doesn't bother pairing their cableCards, this is going to be a bigger support nightmare than it would normally have been as people will simply "lose" their premium channels.

Also FIOS users are used to being able to swap cards between devices, which will no longer work.

4. Jun 27, 2012 #4 of 119
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    They do pair their cards, and have for some time now. For older installations, that's why the bulk of the letter is about how to get your cards paired.

I think the cards in my remaining S3 are still unpaired. Since they're single-stream cards, the information is presented in a slightly different way, and I'm not sure Verizon's procedures will work.

5. Jun 27, 2012 #5 of 119
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I will still be able to swap the cards, it's just a matter of pairing them again. And the automated pairing service on the phone is quick and easy. I just used it tonight to pair my three remaining cable cards.

I called the number on the sheet and had my three cable cards paired in less than five minutes. They already had my cards on my account and it was all automated on the phone. I just had to enter the Host ID and Data ID for each Premiere. And the test channel showed up within a minute after entering the info.

When I tried it a few months ago it would not work since it was looking for a new card that was recently sent out. But my cards were a few years old. Now they have the system set up properly to re-pair the cards on your account. It was surprisingly quick and painless. In the 5.5 years I've been using cable cards with TiVos, this process was easily the quickest and easiest way I have ever paired a cable card. In the past I had gone through the process of pairing a bunch of cards with Comcast and FiOS. And it either took a visit by a tech or a rather lengthy phone call with a CSR. Either method was a pain.
    This automated phone process was truly quick and painless.

6. Jun 28, 2012 #6 of 119
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I don't recall how differently the info was presented back when I had an S3, but as long as you can get CableCard IDs, Host IDs, and Data IDs for both cards in the S3's cablecard menus, the automated system should work.

I recall also that it's recommended that you pair the card in slot #2 first. But I don't know if that was only for the initial activation of the cards, or if it mattered for pairing.

7. Jun 28, 2012 #7 of 119
    NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    I’m in the Boston Fios market, and just received my letter today.

FWIW, I had Fios installed with my two Tivo Premieres two years ago, and based on seeing the Information Channel on channel 131 of each box, it looks like my CC’s were paired when they were installed. I don’t subscribe to any premium channels, so I’m hoping this has no effect on me.

8. Jun 28, 2012 #8 of 119
    vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Sure glad streaming was enabled a while back. otherwise there simply would be no reason to have a TiVo. As for copying material looks like its going back to the days of my directv HDtivo and that deal database site. Oh the things I've forgotten how to do.

9. Jun 29, 2012 #9 of 119
    Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    I got the letter today - in the Philly market.

10. Jun 29, 2012 #10 of 119
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    I got the same letter and wasn't thrilled to get it. One of my TiVo's was actually already paired, and my Windows 7 box with Media Center and a Ceton Card installed was also already paired. 3 other TiVo boxes weren't paired. Except for the fact that the instructions on the letter told me to say "I don't have one" for the activation code and the voice recognition was apparently looking for the words "I don't have it", it was pretty painless. I worried a little that if I skipped over already activated cards that it might wipe their activations, but it didn't, and the 3 boxes that needed to be reactivated were all going fine within about 10 minutes of the completion of the call.

Very disappointed that apparently Verizon has been forced into honoring the copy restrictions. I wish that had been completely precluded long ago, but I understand that it isn't coming from Verizon and instead comes from the content producers -- many of which are just too stupid to realize that if they restrict the methods I can consume their content by, then I'm far less likely to ever bother consuming it, recommending it to others, watching any product placement spots they might have included, seeing any commercials that were included, etc.

11. Jun 29, 2012 #11 of 119
    Gregor

Gregor Active Member

Feb 18, 2002
    The Mac Inhomeagent apparently doesn't support cable card pairing.

12. Jun 29, 2012 #12 of 119
    lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    HBO is one of the providers which, by all reports, is requiring copy restriction. I wouldn't call HBO stupid. You can purchase a DVD if you want to archive a show. Tivo could have done something years ago. Streaming. Implement a MRV "move" instead of copy so shows with copy restrictions can be viewed on a tivo in another room.

Blame tivo for MRV issues. Blame the content provider for wanting to make money selling DVDs and digital versions of the programming (I Tunes)

13. Jun 29, 2012 #13 of 119
    shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ

I agree TIVO should have implemented a move (transfer and delete old copy) as well as the copy which they have now.

14. Jun 29, 2012 #14 of 119
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    CableLabs may not have a 'transfer and delete' specification. Don't know. But, yeah, MRV was ahead of its time for a long time. But was obviously lapped by secure streaming and TiVo's hardware wasn't comfortably capable - until the Premiere. I still prefer to blame HBO. Copy Once does nothing to prevent or limit piracy, it just inconveniences those of us will to legitimately pay HBO.

15. Jun 29, 2012 #15 of 119
    lew

lew Active Member

Mar 12, 2002
    The effect isn't significant for people with upgraded HDs. People who want to keep an HBO, special, movie or series for an extended period of time no longer have the option of archiving to a PC. Those people now have to purchase a DVD or , if available, a digital copy (Amazon or Itunes). It also prevents a HBO subscriber (with tivo) from making DVD copies for friends who don't subscribe to HBO.

16. Jun 29, 2012 #16 of 119
    terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    I'll still call HBO stupid... if I want to see the show on my iPad, or my iPad, etc., I should be able to do so. I've paid them (HBO) the monthly subscription fees and should be able to see the content where I want without having to have a cable company provided crappy DVR just so I can use the cable co.'s "On Demand".

Granted, HBO offers me "HBO Go" and I can use my devices to watch stuff that way, but I could just as easily have used TiVo Desktop to pull the content back over from my TiVo to put into iTunes and then put on whatever device I wanted. Sadly, it seems that HBO is more concerned that I'll then take my copy of the content and give it to someone else. They don't trust that I won't do that, so they are going to demand enforcement of the prevention of me possibly doing that while also reducing my ability to use their content in the forms that I want.

I can drop HBO entirely and ignore everything they do, watch it only on my TV, watch it on the HBO Go app, or buy DVD's or Blu-rays, or pick a combo of all of the above if I want. The issue will be just how much content gets protected and whether or not I'll ever be able to find that content elsewhere or instead, will I just get p.o.'d and frustrated enough to just say eff-it and instead find something else to for my own entertainment. That applies not just to HBO, but to any other provider that starts demanding the copy flag to be set.

17. Jun 29, 2012 #17 of 119
    terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    The thought of the upgraded HDs was something that I chalked up as a positive for me since I had just upgraded two of the TiVo's in the house, one with a 1.5TB and the other with a 2TB drive. Since I already had an XL with 1TB in it, I figure I'm pretty well set and don't have to worry much about having content deleted before I can get to it, but it still doesn't lessen my frustration in not being able to take content with me as easily as I would be able to if not prevented from being able to use the TiVo Desktop software to transfer it over to my iDevices.

I can still make use of my Slingbox to work around the issue if I really want, but that has the disadvantage of using precious bandwidth that I might be restricted on by the stupid Telcos. The big advantage (for me) to putting the content on my iDevices is that it lives there and doesn't need to be streamed and doesn't use up bandwidth on those devices.

18. Jun 29, 2012 #18 of 119
    terpfan1980

Jan 28, 2002
    Yeah, what he ^ said.

:up:

19. Jun 29, 2012 #19 of 119
    mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    From the DFAST Technology License Agreement:
    Most of the other related technology license agreements contain this clause (they seem to have each used the earlier agreements as boilerplate). I'm not sure if any device has actually used it.
    HBO et al have publicly agreed with that statement. Content Copy Protection on this level achieves what they call "keeping honest people honest". They don't want it to be easy for you to copy stuff and give it friends and relations who don't subscribe. They don't particularly care for it to be easy for you to archive their stuff.

20. Jun 29, 2012 #20 of 119
    davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Northern...
    I suspect very few people are archiving and then stripping TiVo encryption. Most folks are transferring from one TiVo to another. So they may be keeping honest people honest, but they're generating bad feelings amongst those honest people. Who may choose to move on from their service and/or check out the dishonest approach. I'm probably not renewing HBO when we change providers in August (moving!). They can peddle their condescending and shortsighted approach elsewhere.