1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIOS DVR vs. Tivo Xl4--multiple simultaneous

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by clherv, Jul 30, 2012.

1. clherv

clherv New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Dallas
    We loved our DirectTV with Tivo, but were forced to drop it because DirectTV dropped support of the box.

One bothersome thing about the FIOS DVR is that it will actually record the exact same show at the exact same time on two different channels. (Less incredible is that it will record the same episode twice in the same day, but we had to let the old Tivo do that with some shows because the show's description was not enough for TIVO to distinguish episodes, and so never recorded any but the first)

We are saving up our money for an XL4, but I got to wondering, would the XL4 do the same thing. We can't use our old experience because the duplicate channels are due to HD (which I don't care about) and SD being broadcast at the same time for the same show on two different channels. We did not have HD on the DirectTV.

Question: is the XL4 smart enough (we are running FIOS) to not record the same show at the same time on two different tuners? Maybe it would solve if the XL4 would let me specify SD only?

2. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Season Passes are channel specific and you would choose either HD or SD when you create them. If using a WishList, which I do for shows that air on many channels such as HBO or Showtime, I add the category of HD and that filters them to only HD.

Getting the same episode twice is beyond TiVo's control as if the guide data is generic, TiVo errors on the side of caution and assumes the show is new and will record it.

As for the same thing recording on more then one tuner at the same time; I have not seen that occur on any of my boxes.

3. clherv

clherv New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Dallas
  4. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    For sd/hd duplicates- the easiest solution that always works is to unselect the one from the channel list you do not want to record.

5. clherv

clherv New Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Dallas
    thanks