1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FiOS Cable Card Pairing

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by christoman, Apr 21, 2012.

1. christoman

christoman New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I have seen some conflicting info and wanted to confirm prior to upgrading a Tivo HD to Elite/XL4. Can I just move the M-Card to the Elite or will I need Verizon to pair it? I thought at one point they weren't paired to the device but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man-also

Sep 14, 2003
    Northern...
    When I went from a Series 3 to two Elites I pulled the two M-cards from the Series 3 and put one in each Elite, and everything worked just fine.

The only minor issue I ever encountered with FiOS was when I added HBO recently. I had to force a system reboot, which you can do online or through the FiOS support number, to be able to get the HBO channels.

3. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    You don't need to pair the card for FIOS. Even the techs don't bother all the time. If they ever change their policy they will get a lot of phone calls. They can repair over the phone....

4. pL86

pL86 New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    New York City
    Verizon's FAQ on Cablecards says Cablecards are paired with the device they're installed in:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Other+Hardware/CableCARDs/QuestionsOne/84913.htm

Nevertheless, many subscribers report being able to transfers Cablecards without pairing although I don't know if these were recent swaps or from a while ago (Verizon's policy may have changed). I guess give it a try and specifically tune to any premium channels you might have that would have the copy lock turned on. Those are the channels where pairing may be needed.

5. mbhuff

mbhuff New Member

Jan 24, 2004
    New York
    It depends on your location. I'm in lower Westchester NY and 100% the cards have to be paired. I had a failed series 3 and the replacement wouldn't work without re-pairing. My new series 4 also needed to be paired

6. christoman

christoman New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll give it a go and hope it works.

7. Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Cards do not have to be paired anywhere in the FiOS footprint. However, you should have them re-pair it. Pairing is required to receive channels that have the CCI byte set greater than 0x00. So far, that's only a few channels on FiOS (and likely channels that you do not watch). But there's no guarantee they won't start setting the copy-flags on premium channels tomorrow (they can if they want to). Might as well get it over with and have them do it right from the start.

8. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

How much are you willing to bet?

9. NYHeel

NYHeel Active Member

Oct 7, 2003
    I have 2 cable cards that are not paired in northern NJ.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    None of mine are paired right now, but do they have an automated pairing menu online. I might as well pair my cards just in case now. I'm down to three cards and soon will be down to two when the IP box comes out, so I have no plans on swapping my cards like I've been doing for the last 4.5+ years with FiOS.

11. Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff New Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Verizon FiOS or Frontier FiOS? AFAIK, no major channel on Verizon FiOS has the copy-protect flag set, so pairing the card is not required to view/record the channels.

I have no idea if that's true on Frontier FiOS as they've managed to screw up their FiOS offerings quite nicely.

12. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    FiOS footprint is FiOS footprint. Are you saying that you're backing down from the bet?

13. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Mine arent paired and I still recieve that stupid HUBHD channel here on FIOS that is copy protected.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's not protected is it? I thought it was in the beginning but they changed it. I thought those two info channels are the only ones protected now?

15. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    What is the URL for the "automated pairing menu online" ?

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I just did a Google search for it. But it needs a number from the receipt that came with the cable cards. Which I didn't have since I got my cards before they had self Install.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    Frontier Fios is not Fios, sorry. When people say "Fios", they mean Verizon. Frontier Fios is a leftover service than Frontier doesn't even want, and they're doing all they can to drive customers away from it. You poor bastards will be back on DSL before long.

18. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I found the activation page... It requires that you enter an activation code that you get with the card.

It got me thinking, self-installs don't have a place to enter a hostid number so they can not be paired to any one box.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    On the page I was on it had fields to enter the host ID and the other ID that is needed.

20. christoman

christoman New Member

Feb 22, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Just as an FYI follow-up: Pulled the trigger on the XL4 and have swapped cable cards with no issues. Guess I am luck to live in an area that doesn't require pairing.