1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

final word as of this point in time on Tivo copy protection workaround

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rajmhar, Aug 14, 2012.

1. rajmhar

rajmhar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    My question is straight foward.

As of this point in time, where are we on the issue of finding a crack/hack/workaround to the following: transferring Tivo Premiere or Tivo HD XL copy-protected recordings from the Tivo to the computer?

Has anybody ever made progress on this issue?

What makes it so hard?

Thank you very much for your expert advice.

2. rajmhar

rajmhar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    I just found this. Will this transfer copy protected recordings? There seems to be some kind of "decrypt" option. Is that it?

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    No kmttg will not transfer copy protected programs from the tivo to your computer. The decrypt option will change the it from a tivo to mpg mpg4 plus some others but will not decrypt copy protected programs.

4. rajmhar

rajmhar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Then how do I do it?

5. rajmhar

rajmhar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Ya, I figured out decrpyt was referring to decoding. sorry my bad

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You can't. So far no one has reported that the Premiere has been hacked.

I'm not sure about the TivoHD XL.

On older Tivos, it takes a hardware modification to ignore the copy protection scheme.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    You probably know this, but just in case. You can record copy-protected content from the TiVo to a DVD recorder and then on to your PC. Obviously, it is in SD, but I have done a lot of that and the quality can be quite good.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Even if you hack your TiVo to bypass encryption it only applies to future recordings. Everything that is on your TiVo is already encrypted and can not be decrypted. The reason no one has cracked the encryption scheme is because the TiVo uses a hardware encryption chip, not a software based solution, so there is no easy way to crack it.

Dan

9. rajmhar

rajmhar New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    thanks everybody for your replies.

10. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    TivoHD +prom mod + hack = your answer for future recordings but for ones you already have you are SOL. Yes it's been done for awhile now. It's a lot of work but if you want it it can be done. TiVo premiere is still locked down though.

11. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    You can hack your HD and transfer shows from the HD to the Premiere (I think), but the Premiere can't be hacked so any CC shows can't be copied from it. Hacking an HD/S3 is not just a one time mod. Not like sending if off, having it modified and forgetting about it. Updates require mini-hacks to be re-applied, but not sure they're still sending updates to the S3/HDs. Not done it myself, but I think that's the gist. It looked like more work than I wanted to put into it.

12. vurbano

vurbano New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Same here. I did it to the old HDtivo from directv but that didn't require the prom mod which can be sent off to have done. The hacking and updating is a whole lot of work though and just not worth it to me now.

13. Davedude

Davedude New Member

May 25, 2012
    Fremont, Ca
    Here is one method - Hauppauge 1212 HD-PVR High Definition Personal Video Recorder. link = see amazon.com (can't post a link yet)

Makes a very nice copy in HD using component video out. One problem, your PC must be < 15 feet from your Tivo / Hauppauge 1212, connected via USB.

Good Luck.
    Dave

14. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though in this case, if you're using legitimate recorders, they follow the copyright signals (Macrovision?) too. e.g. I couldn't record things like HBO shows to my DVD recorder, and still run into things that are 'copy once' (e.g. the current reality show on TNT, The Escape or whatever it's called.. I record it to my other device to watch it faster than realtime).

15. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I've never had a problem with my Magnavox or Panny recorders. I've recorded from every premium channel as well as just about every other cable channel. Never a problem. I have recorded off the composite outs and I have recorded off the HDMI out via a HDMI to composite converter. Both work 100% of the time. Does your cable system do something that mine doesn't perhaps?

16. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    It's a very time consuming tedious process and not very cheap. At least $200 in cost.

However, you can get a HDMI video capture card, and a 1x2 HDMI splitter that removes the HDCP signal. Not all splitters do this, some do some do not. They don't advirtise themselves one way or the other. The way you find out is by reading user reviews.

Once you have done this. Then you can record your copy protected shows to your computer via the capture card. Keep in mind though that this is real time transfer. So a 1 hour show would take 1 hour to transfer.

The advantage to this method over analog captures via component or other cables is that you can maintain full 1080i and DD5.1 sound. Some capture cards will even capture the CC stream and save it as CC or subtitle txt.

Tgc