1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Breath Authorization

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by garbec, Nov 14, 2007.

1. garbec

garbec New Member

May 14, 2004
    SLC, UT
    Oh yee mighty Big Wigs at DirecTV,

As a small offering of goodwill for us loyal early adopters, please authorize all HR-10s to receive OTA forever after you abandon us.

Amen

2. RandCfilm

RandCfilm New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indianapolis
    The goodwill you are asking for is already here. Remove the sat feed, remove your access card and tune to your favorite local OTA channel and you will be able to receive the programming. As will be the case if/when there is no more mpeg2 sat feed to receive.

3. whitepelican

whitepelican New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Of course, in your scenario you won't get any guide data for the OTA channels, or any other channels for that matter. And there's no saying that future software versions have to continue to support OTA (though I'm sure they will). So I suppose it is still fair to ask a small prayer of our DirecTV overlords requesting this feature to continue to work for many years.

4. RandCfilm

RandCfilm New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indianapolis
    This would be what garbec would have available after the HR10 was shut down. I would hope that DirecTV continues to provide OTA data even after the HR10 shut down or (IIRC) 2010 TiVo support contract expires.

5. garbec

garbec New Member

May 14, 2004
    SLC, UT
    Actually, I am pleased.

Just to clarify, when I disconnect sat feeds, and call DirectV and disable my HR-10 (stop paying the $5 extra receiver charge):
    1) The HR 10 will still tune HD OTA
    2) Guide data will disapear
    3) I can still do manual (time, channel) recordings of HD content

If so, my prayer is answered. I previously belived that the HR-10 would not tune or record OTA without a subscription ($5 per month). But now you are saying that the $5 is only for guide data.

6. IMA_TV_ADDICT

IMA_TV_ADDICT New Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Seattle
    It sounds like you've already decided to keep DirecTV and to keep your HR10 connected to your system. If so, why cancel the service? The $5 a month not only buys you the guide data for OTA HD, it also buys you a great SD DVR with a big hard drive. That's a no-brainer to me.

7. garbec

garbec New Member

May 14, 2004
    SLC, UT
    I already have a HR20 & HR10 hooked to the same TV. Yes I plan to stay with DirecTV. I already use the HR-10 for the OTA stuff (LENO, NFL, Etc). I use the HR20 for all new HD channels.

I do not watch SD. It is against my religion. I would prefer a HD only package.

When Directv moves all HD to MPEG-4, then my HR-10 will only be good for OTA. I see your point about $5 for guide data, but I'm still wavering.

8. jimb726

jimb726 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Are you looking for a second OTA? Or just the TiVo interface? WHy not use the OTA on the HR20?

9. garbec

garbec New Member

May 14, 2004
    SLC, UT
    HR-10 (30 hours HD) + HR-20 (30 hours HD) = 60 hours HD

HR-20 is better at MPEG-4, leaves HR-10 for everything else.

I do prefer the TIVO interface, but due to more channels on the HR-20, I use the HR-20 more.

Note:I love TIVO suggestions. Since I got the HR20, I try to leave the HR10 fairly open so that it auto-records as much HD as possible. It bugs me that I have no way of auto-recording MPEG-4. I miss that feature more than any other on the HR10.

10. RandCfilm

RandCfilm New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately you will not be able to record without subscription just tune to the channel.

11. garbec

garbec New Member

May 14, 2004
    SLC, UT
    Then I stick by my origional post, we still need the final breath authorization!

DirecTV, please show us some love!

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Active Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    The HR10 isn't going anywhere for quite a while. Yes it will lose satellite HD when they turn off the MPEG2 channels but it is not being abandoned for a long, long time (DirecTV still supports even Ultimate TV!). If you like it enough, pay the $5 and use it. If that is not worth it, then dump it.

13. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Much better, according to some reports :D

But doesn't "Tivo service" imply more than the ability to record and play back those recordings, even if they are manual recordings (essentially making it a digital VCR or timeslot recorder)?

What about trick play capability, such as pause and jump back for live content?

I have an unsubbed series 1 at work for recording SD shows that I watch during my lunch hour. It still has trick play, but the clock has drifted many hours, requiring a conversion sheet (to record a show at 8 PM I have to enter 3:25 PM, for instance). If this clock drift happens to unserviced HR10s, not only will it become a digital OTA VCR, but B2B recordings on different channels or on dual tuners will start to conflict, making programming a nightmare for dual tuners and limiting it's usefulness even more.

14. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    Without a satellite connection there is no guide data. The HR10-250 would just be a fancy VCR with no guide data.

15. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Instead of trashing all of these HR10s out there (which is wasteful and not very environmental) DirecTV should give Tivo the right to service these devices after the DirecTV contract expires. Perhaps Tivo could offer $5 Tivo subs and be in charge of providing guide data and development for the HR10. The HR10 still has phone ports for data, and the theoretical ability to use USB networking, so there are avenues for Tivo to provide guide data.

This is technologically possible and it seems like it wouldn't be all that challenging for the programmers to port over exisiting modules of code from the other platforms. Besides, it would give the Tivo programmers something to do before 2010 instead of the big nothing we have seen from them so far.

16. chel_in_il

chel_in_il New Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I just had DirecTV activate an HR10 for me today. (I bought two from a stereo installer guy.) I already have two Phillips DirecTivos (and one POS Directv SD DVR... I don't use it.) Of course, they wanted to upgrade me to the new HD DVR... and I love my Tivo interface. I didn't realize it would record OTA HD until I came here - oh my, too awesome. (I don't watch local TV as I don't have local channels on my subscription (tree in the way), I hate switching between antenna and satellite, and I hate not having Tivo functionality.) Spoiled.

Now I have it all (except HD on satellite - no biggie..) I only have an HD set in my bedroom and it's always recording Law and Order. Now I can record L&O on OTA.

If my 55" Magnavox big screen ever kicks the bucket, then I'll go all HD.

Michelle

17. cramer

cramer New Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    #3 will be a problem. Without a connection to the sat and an active, DVR enabled sub, the DVR service will not be enabled -- no recording for you.

As for Tivo supporting them as non-DTV units... Not. Going. To. Happen. They didn't want to foot the phone time expense to push a DST update to S1 SA's. W.t.h. makes you think they'll want to do it for HR10? And for less than a S1 sub. Yes, you can use the serial port or plug a usb network dongle on it (assuming DTV allows the usb ports to be activated), but almost nobody does.

18. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC

I definitely don't think it will happen either, just pointing that it is technically possible. The argument that they could provide service for less is based on the fact that these would be unsubsidized units so there are no hardware costs to recoup, and also the limited functionality to OTA only reception. Still, just theoretical talk. Among all the other reasons, DTV would never go for it.

19. jmw86069

jmw86069 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I have three questions... and thanks 100 times in advance for any help whatsoever. I'd even enjoy a good flame. I'm, uh, retardent. :)

I think we should in theory be well within our rights to use the equipment we own to do whatever it is that we want to do. I don't recognize that recording a show to play back for oneself is outside legal bounds, even though maybe it is according to DTV contact. The music industry, nasty and protective as it is, still reluctantly allows "fair use" and I think it would apply here as well. It isn't different than a VCR conceptually, and I don't think *even with a contract* it would hold legally. This is what I tell my conscience, especially since I'm willing to pay *fair price* for PVR-only. But I digress...

I have been ready to cancel DTV for a few months now, but a not brave enough to do it and risk not being able to use my TiVo. My wife and I watch well more than half our TV off the internet (all networks have most shows available live.) Can't record those shows, but you don't need to. I'm so ready to "stick it to the man" and cut out all type of TV bill altogether, watching from the Net and OTA. But alas, I can't use my TiVo without paying $39.95/month for DTV's cheapest plan (plus tax, plus DVR fee.)

1) So... if I unplug the satellite lines, remove the access card (and/or replace it with an old credit card or another unauthorized access card from somewhere else) --- will the TiVo work for OTA??

It's been rebooting frequently, every couple of days (the Raleigh-Durham OTA issue posted here too), so I'm worried when it reboots it'll complain about not hearing from the mothership during power-up and won't let me record anymore. Does anyone know if that's going to happen?

I called DTV and asked for a PVR-only plan that others alluded to, and they gave me absolutely no options other than $39.95/month.

2) Does anyone know if there exists a $5/month or $10/month plan for PVR-only?

(edit: oh yeah forgot question #3...)

3) WTF?

Thanks again for the help!

--James

20. dishrich

dishrich Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    jmw86069 - you seem to be missing the important point; the HD Tivo is a DIRECTV box FIRST, with Tivo features added. Because of this, D* is NOT obligated to provide you OTA only DVR service, which is, in fact, what they would be doing, when you pull it off your account.
    And truthfully, you're in better shape with the HD Tivo than you are with the newer D* HD boxes from the past couple years; on those boxes, when you disconnect them from the account, ALL OTA capability is disabled, so you can't even use them for a plain OTA digital receiver.

Bottom line, as we have already told you - if you disco the box from your account, you WILL have a working OTA tuner, but NO way to record anything OTA, EVEN manually. (you would be able to use 30 min pause, if that floats your boat) There is NO way to make it record w/out a D* sub, period - because it IS a D* box, NOT a Tivo box.