1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCC Cablecard Rule Changes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jrm01, Nov 23, 2010.

1. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Interesting comments by Tom Rogers in his earnings release today:

Discounts on cable bundles with TiVo and self-install of cablecards.
  2. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Any link to read all the details of the earning call?

This is just repeating the new rules.

Unfortunately the cable companies were given 9 months to allow self-installs if they already allow self-install of equipments. They were given 12 months if they don't allow any form of self-install.

Also with regards to the discounts this is more to do with cable companies who made it cheaper to keep their DVR/STB due to how it was bundled. Some people paid more even if they only had a CableCARD. The new rule is supposed to do away with it, but people are now arguing over what formula the companies will be required to use for the discount.
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Comcast allows self-installs in some areas but not others so are they bound by the 9 month rule in areas that they don't currently offer self-installs?

4. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    I didnt think FiOS allows self installs of cable cards either..would be nice if they did!
  5. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    As I recall, they're bound by the shorter timeframe if they allow self-installs of equipment in any area.
  6. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    In my area Comcast recently stopped charging for CableCARDs (well they still charge for a 2nd card in a device like the original S3). My guess is that this was a result of the FCC stating that CableCARDs had to be a separate item on the bill even for cable provided cable boxes.

I doubt Comcast will ever allow self-installs, regardless of what the FCC says.
  7. generaltso

generaltso New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    I don't think they're going to have a choice. A small cable company could probably get away with it, but the nation's largest cable provider would have a hard time blatantly disregarding an FCC mandate.
  8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Particularly the nation's largest cable provider trying to complete what is probably the largest entertainment merger in history, and therefore one in the spotlight and one wanting to make the government happy.
  9. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    Oh they'll say they do and then they still won't be able to pair it on the phone requiring a truck roll. Unless they set up a system where you can type in the pairing info on a web site this is doomed to failure. That in itself would be dangerous because I can see mistyping a number a depairing someone else's cards.
  10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Active Member

Sep 13, 2005

I did a self-install with Comcast three days ago.
  11. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I did also but it was three years ago, now they won't let me but they did give me a free truck roll because I asked to do it myself. So they may get around the self install mandate by not charging for the install of cable cards.
  12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    I have been involved in about 10 cablecard installs with Comcast over the past five years. Originally they were tedious and always with problems. I think I have trained a dozen of their techs on how to do it. My last one about 3 months ago was unbelievable. The Tech put the card in the box, called his office and told them to authorize it and it was finished in 5 minutes, without a problem. He said that their system now sent the cablecard-id, host and data numbers automatically back to the headend, eliminating the need to read and communicate them over the phone (or internet).

There is really no need to have a truck roll here and I have been trying to convince them of that.
  13. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    My Comcast CableCARD install this week was a $16 truck roll, where the one earlier this year was an outrageous $79. I didn't ask for a self-install for reasons below. The last time the tech used his handheld to text the numbers in. This time he called and it only took one call with one trip through the numbers, "It should be working now" - and it was.

For my $16 the tech did a complete health check to look for the weak signal I've been getting so he was here for over an hour. It took over an hour for us for figure out how the cables were routed because I forgot that my main output is wired weird and not on the home run from my wiring close the other outlets are on..
  14. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    My last install didn't go so well. The installer (contractor) couldn't reach any one on the Comcast dispatch number and sat on hold for 40 minutes before hanging up. He ended up calling his office, who could add the cards to my account and activate them, but not pair them. He said that was good enough and left. I tried calling support, but you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a phone tech who knows how to pair cards. I had to go the Twitter route to get them paired. I can't see self installs having any chance of working with the current support system setup.

Comcast can't even provision modems correctly (my upload speeds are provisioned wrong) and they've been out over 10 years.
  15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Quad Sillies
    Love your avatar...

On topic...I've had several CableCARD installs with Mediacom and only been charged for one, as I recall....
  16. LarryKay

LarryKay New Member

Nov 19, 2002
    This week, FIOS made me wait 3 weeks for an installer to come to my home with the cable card. He had no clue as to what to do. I opened the case for the card and plugged into my new 2nd Tivo. I turned on the Tivo. The installer went to the TV and read the info to someone on his cellphone to activate it. what a waste of the installers time ( 2hours) plus my waiting fro 5 hours for him to arrive "anywhere from 8am TO 5pm".:mad:
  17. brshoemak

brshoemak New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    I recently got a Tivo Premiere and called Comcast for a Cablecard install. I was expecting the worst after all the horror stories on this site, but I'm glad it didn't go that way.

The techician (who I actually knew) stuck the card in the back of the Tivo, it was detected, there was a 5 minute call to the headend and that was that. Dual-tuner digital goodness. Smooth as silk install for me.

Soooo much better than my ghetto rigging of a Series2 analog + digital through external Comcast tuner - that was a nightmare of cables and recording limitations.
  18. BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Active Member

May 15, 2002
    Agreed. This will allow the cable company to point the finger at you or Tivo, saying it's your fault it's not working, and they won't to do anything to fix it. I'm sure they'll suggest you use their DVR instead.

I think the FIOS model is good. The FCC can make the truck roll free. If it wastes the installer's time, and that time isn't getting paid for anymore, the cable co. will naturally want to improve self-installation. (Or hide the charge in the cable card fees).
  19. Gene S

Gene S New Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Belleville, IL
    Wait, what does this mean?

Tivo can already access linear cable channels using only a cable card. It's asking to receive all channels via SDV?