1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Faster HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by compnurd, Apr 22, 2012.

1. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I tried searching to this but could not find it..

Has anyone upgraded there Premiere HD to a Faster Drive instead of a Green Drive? I am curious if there are any improvements or issues upgrading to a 7200k drive and one with larger cache....

2. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    What would be the point?

3. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I am curious if the faster spindle or larger cache would improve any speed times.... perhaps transferring shows it may improve or stabilize network speed... or increase boot times. what brought this up is there is alot of people having speed issues with Direct TV's new interface and this is having people wonder if a faster HD would help things out for them

4. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    The answer is that a faster HD does not help, there have been many threads over the years here, and the consensus is that the way the Tivo OS and filesystem deal with drives and cache speed of the drive never enters into it, thus why 5400RPM drives handle things fine.

5. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    this has been asked and answered in the past. Someone once even tried a SSD just for kicks, I seem to remember he felt menus were a little quicker, but he did not benchmark.

6. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    The slow menus are because of the slow Processor. If you can find a way to upgrade THAT you'd probably see some improvement. Not sure why TiVo is so stubborn about putting in such weak processors, but it is what it is. Hopefully the NEXT generation of TiVo will have better hardware. ;)

7. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    ...and the transfer speeds are not bottlenecked by the hard drive.

8. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Yes. True. Although I do have to say, they have made a fairly noticeable improvement in MRV transfer speeds on the Premiere boxes vs. my Series 3 HD's. It's faster going both directions (pulling AND pushing videos). I'm pretty satisfied with that. It's faster than real time and that's all I usually need.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Series 3 to Series 3 was faster than real time.

10. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    True. The new Premiers are noticeably faster though... that's all I was saying. They load super fast. :)

11. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Yeah, my Premiere is faster than my S3HD which is faster than my S2's. Rumor has it that the Elite is so fast that the transfer is almost complete before you even request it. :rolleyes:

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    TiVo's in sort of the same boat as NASA.

By the time they pick a CPU and make sure it's bulletproof and design around it and get to production, there are newer, faster models on the market that weren't there when they started or were there but were too expensive to consider at the time.

13. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    A VCR never had "slow menus".. at least not to the same degree.

Heck, the menus on the S1 were actually what I'd say "more complete" (fewer UI glitches), and fairly fast, EXCEPT getting into Now Playing. So they sped that up on later Tivos by making Now Playing "fill in" (but be FAR worse UI-wise, IMHO).

Basically, you should design to the hardware you have, and make things less fluff-filled so they're faster.

14. bareyb

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I think that's the key sentence right there. They basically cheaped out thinking the lower price would increase sales. I think a better product would increase sales. So it's a matter of priority. I know it's thier choice, but I think they could take a lesson from Apple here. ;)