1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fargo - S03E01 (4/19/2017) -- "The Law of Vacant Places"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by jsmeeker, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:59 PM.

1. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Death by air conditioner!!

This isn't set when I thought it was gonna be set. More recent then I was expecting.

The cop isn't Molly Solverson.

Any connection at all to previous seasons?

2. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    Ya, sure. Ok then.

3. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    One thing I didn't understand at all was the opening scene.

WTF??

Regina likes this.
  4. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I kept staring at Maurice - I knew I knew him - then it hit me (pun intended) - it's Scoot McNary! From "Halt and Catch Fire!" He was so different here! Love it!

I loved the bridge scenes-my father was a lifelong player and he would have loved to see people playing bridge like that.

5. bantar

bantar Member

Apr 27, 2004
    I was confused too and still am a bit, but.... I watched it again and it appears to be a vignette saying: "the story you are about to see is a true story" My guess is that it does not actually feed into the storyline beyond this.

It seemed like one brother swindled the other brother for a valuable stamp collection. However, he traded a Corvette for it, so that brother was likely already rich, just made richer with the trade.

We have more mysteries laid out before us as well.... What stamp did he bring back? What was dad hiding in the floor trap? How is the mafia going to play out? Lot's of loose ends should make for good story telling. I think we're off to a good start!

6. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    It's gonna take either a few watchings or internet searched to remember character names.

But the guy hired steal the stamp in exchange for a squashed positive drug test and went to the wrong house,came back with just some normal regular stamps.

7. bantar

bantar Member

Apr 27, 2004
    That's what I would have guessed, but it puzzles me given that dad is dead. I would have given up my generic USPS stamps in a heartbeat (hopefully preventing my death). I would have expected Dad to do so as well. My guess is that he had some valuable stamps too and thus put up a bit of a fight. Or maybe Dad was just cantankerous!

8. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    He's a crazed ex-con. Who knows exactly what happened. We haven't seen it. Though I suspect we'll get a flash back at some point. My guess is the Dad really had no valuable stamps. Ex con was expecting to find something. Did not find. Is the dad SHOT? I don't think we could tell what caused him to die.

9. bantar

bantar Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Yes, it's not explicit, but the ex-con said something along the lines of... $5000 is extremely fair because the fellow we robbed is likely dead.

10. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    Looked to me like he had a heart attack while duct taped to the chair.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Given the Hugo Award that the Chief armed herself with and the sci fi in the lockbox under the floor, I assume Grandpa was a sci fi writer or artist back in the day?

12. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    Why was she counting when trying to pry the air conditioning loose?

It seemed like she was trying to time how long it would take him to get exactly under it, but then at the end, they just looked and pushed when he was there.

Was it for another reason?

-smak-

13. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I suppose it would be an interesting twist if Dad had valuable stamps as well :)

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She was definitely figuring out when he'd get out there...she started off by making some calculations. Of course, she wouldn't know about his pauses to light and huff the cigarette.

One thing I've always enjoyed about this show is its appreciation for the many ways in which people can be idiots. :D

15. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    all the 'Fargo' stories start off with an idiot getting caught up in something gone really wrong

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I thought they'd screwed up by having a Red Owl at the beginning, but it turns out there are still a couple of them around outstate (the ones around here all became Supervalu a long time ago, including the one I went to as a kid).

17. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I originally thought the old grampa Stussy was Lou Solverson (David Carradine's character in Season 1).

18. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Good catch! I'll miss him, he was a hoot for the short duration he was on. :D

I LOL when the brother asked him "how's the Corvette?" and the reply was, "It's a car".

Regina likes this.
  19. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Hm. I'm not sure about that. I'll be surprised if we don't eventually connect up with that intro in some way.

The way I understood it is that their parents died and in the will Emmit, the older brother, got the car (among other things I'm sure) and Ray, the younger brother, got the stamps (also probably among other things). Ray really wanted the car, because what's cooler than a Corvette when you're young?, and Emmit traded him the car for the stamps. Obviously the stamps were worth a lot more than the car but Ray didn't understand that being young and stupid. Emmit seems to have sold off all the stamps except one (in/on the mirror we saw) and created a real estate business and is doing very well for himself... aside from the mob issue. Ray feels that Emmit took advantage of him in the trade.

20. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    If the business was doing well they would not have borrowed a "heck of a lot" of money a year ago from a sketchy lender. Of course, now they say they can pay it back, but they seem strangely eager to pay back a loan. Anyway, it sounds like their business is not smooth at all. Lots of ups and downs.