1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fantastic deal!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by spepin, Aug 26, 2012.

1. spepin

spepin New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    So, a while back, one of my S2 boxes (a 240) that had been upgraded to 160 hour bit the dust. To make matters worse, I couldn't find the original HDD to get it back going again. Didn't really need the long recording time as this was one of my early units and had long been relegated to the family room TV (I also have two S3 HD's, and a S2 DT all purring along happily). Anyway, after quite a while without a TiVo in the family room, and paying the low rate that had been grandfathered onto that box just so I wouldn't lose it, I decided to start looking into my options. Did I want to buy another replacement drive kit at around $120? Buy an older drive and re-image it? Buy a replacement S2 box? I decided to give eBay and Craigslist a look-see. After not being too impressed with the exaggerated asking prices on eBay (even for old 240's), I ran across a listing on Craigslist for a BRAND NEW 540 -- for $10! :D Before going out to pick it up, I called to confirm the price because I thought it might be a typo, but it wasn't -- $10! The box had been given to this lady as a gift, and she never hooked it up. Somehow, she managed to lose the remote, but it came with a used remote. Everything else was still sealed, and even the TiVo had the plastic on the front and not a spec of dust on the fan blades. I'm in the process of performing the initial setup as I type this.

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Why would you pay for service on a old non HD TiVo, you can pick one up with lifetime service for about $150 on E-Bay, or did you forget to tell us the unit you just got had lifetime Service.

3. shwru980r

shwru980r Active Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I think he had the $6.95/month rate, but I agree it's still not worth it on an S2. He could pay off a used lifetime S2 in under 2 years at $6.95/month.

4. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    not a good deal, you got hosed.

5. spepin

spepin New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    I guess you didn't read the part about replacing a dead S2? Here are my options:

1 - Buy brand new S2 (don't care about HD on this particular TV) - $10 + $6.95/mo
    2 - Repair existing S2 - $40 (if I don't have an old drive - $120 to buy upgrade drive) + $6.95/mo
    3 - Buy old S2 W/lifetime - $150
    4 - Buy new Premiere - $150 - $400 + $14.95/mo
    5 - Buy new Premiere W/lifetime - $650 - $900

In this case, considering my immediate cash outlay, I'd say #1 was the best pick. If I went the route of #3, then I'd still be getting a 7 or so year old DVR with who knows how much life left on it. True, if it lasted almost 2 years, then I'd be money ahead, but then again if it didn't then I would have thrown money away.

BTW, I should note that this TV is just a family room TV -- mainly for the kids to record cartoons, and other "kid" shows. I do have S3 HD units on my living room and master bedroom TVs, and another S2 DT in my oldest kid's room. So, this is by far not my primary TiVo.

6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo has an offer of $399 for the TP with Lifetime and the TiVo wireless adapter for people that have only a series 2. Link www3.tivo.com/promo/buy-premiere/s2upgrade/?&tsn=5400001xxxxxxxx&WT.mc_id=EM6055 Just enter your own TiVo service number.

7. moedaman

moedaman New Member

Aug 21, 2012
    So let me ask this. I don't have a Tivo account but if I bought a Tivo2 off of craigslist (there are plenty in the $20 range). Register it and pay for one months service. Could I get in on this deal or do older accounts only qualify?

8. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The people i know that got this offer had a Lifetime Series 2 in their TiVo account, I don't know anybody that has an active Series 2 under monthly. I don't know what considerations TiVo uses for this offer and I doubt anybody on this form (except maybe a TiVo employee) would know.

9. spepin

spepin New Member

Apr 12, 2002
    Every one of my TSN's that I plug into the "See if you qualify" box comes up saying it's invalid. If this is for people with only S2's, then I don't qualify since I also have two S3's.

10. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Only is correct, just having a Series 2 and no Series 3/4 on your account for this deal.

11. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE New Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "Middle of...
    Nobody say a word. I was able to get this deal. I currently have an S3, an HDXL, and a Premier all on LT. Shhhhhhhhhh.

12. trubel

trubel New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    But I want the Quad tuner. TIVO give me that deal and I may think about upgrading.

13. trubel

trubel New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I agree, hosed!

14. Stormspace

Stormspace Electrocuted by TiVo

Apr 13, 2004
    Hartsville, SC
    I agree with you. I was a good deal. I just did the same thing basically, buying a S2DT on ebay to replace my 240. I paid 12 bucks plus shipping. For me however I was able to preserve my upgraded HDD and put it in the new (to me) box.