1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling Skies "Strange Brew" OAD 7/21/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by bsnelson, Jul 22, 2013.

1. bsnelson

bsnelson Mid-life anti-crisis in progress TCF Club

Oct 30, 1999
    Allen, TX, USA
    Ummm.... :confused:

I get that this was mostly an episode where the evil chick was trying to get information from Tom, but dang. That was... weird. Some good subtle background info, though.

Who else expected something like this to come at the end of his daydream with him and his wife: "...there's nothing left for you here, but before you go, please tell me one thing... will you be going to Boston, Chicago, Jacksonville or New York?" :D

Brad

2. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    I did really like getting a glimpse of the Masons' lives "before."

Couldn't help but notice something that belied the Canadian filming location: a flashing green traffic light in what was supposed to be Boston. (Or perhaps we were supposed to take that as a sign that what we were seeing wasn't real...?)

3. [NG]Owner

[NG]Owner New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Kansas City
    I'm wondering how Tom is going to get from Boston to Charleston, SC. That's damn near 1000 miles by foot.

[NG]Owner

4. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I liked this episode. I told my daughter it was nice seeing everyone all cleaned up.

I was surprised that Moon Bloodgood was in the episode, I think she's on maternity leave - but I also read where she said she filmed some scenes out of sequence. I liked that she really was pregnant when the character was pregnant - but she still looked pregnant in this episode.

5. stellie93

stellie93 Active Member

Feb 25, 2006
    So are she and the baby really dead? If they somehow impregnated her with alien DNA, I can't see them killing the baby.

One thing about apocalypse shows--you really appreciate sitting in your warm house with a full fridge and running water. Maybe these are the good old days--we should enjoy them.

6. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was surprised to see Noah Wiley clean shaven. I wonder when they filmed this episode in relation to the others.

7. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I was curious about that too. They might have shot it after last season, cuz Wyle looks to have about a 4-6 month growth. They could have removed it digitally, but that would seem prohibitively expensive for a TV show.

8. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Or those scenes could have been the last episode shot (after the next 2 episodes).

9. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    That's true too. I didn't think that the season's eps are in the can well before they air.

I was just re-watching the snow scenes. I don't know when it stops snowing in Canada, but parts of those scenes could have been shot well before Wyle was inserted into them with green screen.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    These short-run cable shows are usually shot well in advance, sometimes as much as a year. So it's very easy for them to mess around with the shooting order if needed.

11. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    This was my least favorite episode of the season, I just didn't care.

12. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, I just used the wrong words. I meant to say that I wasn't thinking about the fact that these shows are shot well before air, unlike most full season series.

13. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I kind of liked this episode. It had a Lost vs. The Prisoner feel to it. I too am confused if mother and baby are dead. Also, how did Tom get to Boston? That would have taken a long time to get there (the timeline on this show is very screwed up). And how is he getting back? And where is Karen? Is she in Charleston? Boston? Hell? Could she have transported him to Boston?

14. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Tom was captured by the Aliens and it seems he was brought to Boston. Last time they had a car which got them to Charleston, who knows how he will get back now.

15. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    episode before they were on horseback. I don't remember if they had the horses after they had the run in with the Dad and his Bro/boys. They showed three brothers come back to Charleston on foot, right?

So "I guess" this episode was weeks after the last one? Months?

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't think they were necessarily too far away to begin with...they were flying to DC, right? And they got shot down somewhere between Charleston and DC. Then they started back to Charleston on horseback...we don't know how far they had to go, and how far they got before they met that family. So they could have been just a couple days' walk away by then.

Remember that Cochise was able to walk from the crash site to Charleston (carrying the president).

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm almost positive that Tom came back to Charleston after the plane crash with Pope. Then set out with the boys on the search party.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Oops, you're right.

Which would make it even closer (horses don't go much faster than humans for more than a short sprint). The advantage of the horse is you don't have to do the work, you can carry more stuff...and you get the short sprints if needed.

And I guess you can see further from up there...

19. HIHZia

HIHZia Mad Turk

Nov 3, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    So what was the unbelievable reveal they kept teasing leading up to this episode? I don't remember anything being revealed, much less something unbelievable.

20. aaronw

aaronw Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Washington, DC
    The person in the lounge talking to Peralta had his character's name subtitled as 'Cochise' and Tom called him 'Dr. C' which was a clever way of not giving it away.