1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling Skies - 6/22/2014 - Ghost in the Machine

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    No thread yet? This show has taken some REALLY strange turns the last two seasons. Lexi is now already grown up and is a "guru" preaching piece. Youngest son is now part of the Hitler Youth, but trying to rebel? Doctor Anne is now a bad-ass? The show is so much different than the first season it's barely recognizable.

2. Timbeau

Timbeau Active Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    As I recall last season's initial episode was all about hope for the Earth people, this season's initial episode seemed to be about how little hope there is.

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    There was an earlier, more general (non spoilery) Falling Skies thread where some discussion of this episode came up.

As with many, I'm a little uncertain to this new direction for the show. They're changing some pretty fundamental things about the show, such as the Espheni now capturing, not outright killing, humans, as well as them now taking to re-educating youth. More than that, I've never been a fan of shows with offspring that are then preternaturally accelerated aged... and this one is one of the creepiest.

Still, the show has built up enough goodwill that I'm willing to hang on and see if they have a plan for all of this.

I'm disappointed that they chose not to do a 2nd Watch this year. I know Wil Wheaton is busy on another network, but they could have found another host. :(

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Can somebody please explain why the regular citizens don't simply beat the crap out of Pope and take his stuff?

I can tell right off the bat that I'm not going to like the Lexi subplot.

Tom as a vigilante Evel Knievel was silly.

5. Silverman

Silverman New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I think they are trying to ripoff Transformers mostly. Then Lexi came along and out came my camera, I think I would follow her most anywhere. I'd prefer her lifestyle to the battlefield one anytime. Lexi may keep me tuned in, I had almost given up on the show.

6. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm not a fan of the direction they're going, yet ANOTHER new group of aliens, apparently we're in the middle of an alien turnpike. I'm not a big fan of every season reboots and this one is on borrowed time for me..

7. Gerryex

Gerryex Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Land O...
    Are the flying aliens (the ones that captured someone and took them up to the ship flying overhead) another group of aliens or are they slaves of the original aliens, the Espheni?

I know the other aliens (the Volm?) and the guy Tom calls Cochise are supposedly friends but according to Cochise they had to go off and defend themselves from the Espheni or face their own extinction. Now they are saying: Bye bye humans, you're on your own!!

With all the different aliens running about I was getting a little confused!

Gerry

8. gweempose

gweempose Active Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Last season, I initially found the reboot to be somewhat jarring, but I ultimately enjoyed the direction they took the show in. The problem with the reboot this season is that they completely undid everything they accomplished last season. I hate when shows do this. I'm also very confused by the whole Lexi/Khaleesi metamorphosis. I'm not sure where they are going with it, so I guess we'll have to wait and see if there is a payoff. The youth camp thing is just stupid on so many levels. They abandoned the harnesses so they could brainwash the kids? Seriously? :confused:

I'll continue to watch for now, but I'm very skeptical about the show's future.

9. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Great avatar. :up:

10. kdmorse

kdmorse Active Member

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    I was so certain that the first scenes (green grass, happyness and family everywhere) was a dream sequence, that I never quite mentally got back in sync with the show when it turned out it wasn't.

Just as others have said, I'm not sure about this direction... But I'm willing to give it a chance...

11. Hercules67

Hercules67 TiVo addict

Dec 8, 2007
    I am like most on this thread.... I am afraid this new direction they are taking the show, with the new show runner is not looking good at all.

So what? We are going to reach a point where all the races are going to peacefully coexist on Earth? That's total BS if you ask me.

The accelerated aging of Lexi storyline has been overdone... We've seen the Deus ex Machina storyline already, and now, borrowing heavily from the old "V" show we get the hybrid kid that's going to save the humans. Yet, we're never told HOW, the hybrid came to be, and why Lexi thinks like she does.

No, sir, unless they start providing some answers, I am going to jump ship pretty quickly.

12. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Is there a pool to guess when they add Ted McGinley to the cast? :p

13. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    If Ted McGinley dies, does that mean no show will ever be canceled again?

14. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    Nah, Elizabeth Mitchell will step up to the challenge and fill the void.

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Or Sarah Marshall :D

I liked this show much much better, when all the aliens were bad guys and the earthlings were fighting with each other as much as with the aliens, but at least had one common enemy. All these alien factions are getting confusing.