1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Factory-renewed 40-hour Series2 are 39 Hours

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by lessd, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I just got in 3 of the TiVo Factory-renewed 40-hour Series2, set them up and the record time was 39 hours!! What up with that. The units came with 7.0 software with a mfg date of Feb 6 2006. They looked new, not like a re-pack jobs.

The units were all updated to 7.2.2 by TiVo software but still had 39 hours of record time. I have an older 40 unit that was also updated to V7.2.2 by TiVo so I will list the record times each TiVo gives

Older TiVo:___________ Best 11:51 good 18:44 Medium 24:23 Basic 40:35
    Factory-renewed 40-h_ Best 11:25 Good 18:02 Medium 23:37 Basic 39:02

I know this is not much of a problem but the TiVo are advertised as 40 hour units

Has anybody else seen this ?

2. xnevergiveinx

xnevergiveinx New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    who cares...1 hour at basic quality, big whoop

i bought a refurb recently, lifetimed it...then dropped in a 300 gig hard drive.
    i couldn't deal with only being limited to 40 hours of basic
  3. OldTownTreadles

OldTownTreadles Shade Tree Mechanic

Mar 15, 2006
    Haven't noticed it on a Tivo, but I have noticed that some hard drives that I bought (like an 80 gig for an older computer I had) showed as having 79 gig capacity. Maybe it's a difference between actual capacity and formatted capacity?
  4. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    This is for some friends who are not going to upgrade and will see under system Information recording time of 39 hours, it just they thought they bought a 40 hour TiVo. (it doesn't matter what they can record, it what they see that I will have to explain). I don't know what TiVo did to caused this.

5. dstoffa

dstoffa New Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Useable versus total.

1024 byte Kbtyes versus 1000 byte kbytes.

Different vedors.

Plenty of ways to see the discrepancy.
  6. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    1 gig to the Tivo software....this is probably the easiest explanation to give them...
  7. lajohn27

lajohn27 Fanboi.. So what?

Dec 29, 2003
    Tell them they bought a 39 hour TIVO.

Actually, I noticed my Humax actually has an 89 hour capacity. Clearly I stole on of your hours... and eight of someone else's.

8. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    I just got one of those with the lifetime going away. My last TiVo lifetime ever (*sniff*).

Never noticed the original drive times. Never even booted the 40 hour drive. Swapped it for a 250G Samsung from newegg.com the same day I got it.
  9. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    To answer xnevergiveinx, we care. We appreciate the followup suggestions, but when we say "40", that is the absolute minimum that we require for the basic recording quality.

lessd, please send me a PM with the 15-digit TSNs of these units, along with contact information for you, and we will investigate this discrepancy further.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
  10. Sirshagg

Sirshagg New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    I bought two brand new 40 hour units and both reports as having 39 hours.

Personally, for 1 hour at the lowest quality I don't care. But it still isn't right. If the box states 40 hours, it should be 40 hours.

I'm just waiting to find a good deal on a big HD to throw in them.
  11. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry 00-16 TiVo Employee

Jul 26, 2005
    We agree that it isn't right. Please send me a PM with the 15-digit TSNs and we'll look at it.
  12. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    TiVoJerry, I don't think there is anything special about these particular units. Apparently, they're all like that, refurbished or brand new. Potential sources:

1. Hard drive is slightly smaller, although I think the probability is very small.
    2. Factory 7.2.0 version partitions the drive differently, yielding slightly less user space. This is a very likely cause.
  13. Sirshagg

Sirshagg New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    What he said.
  14. dtreese

dtreese New Member

May 6, 2005
    See, a lot of companies out there would think this is a complaint not worthy of addressing, or they would jargon up some technobabble at you that would leave you thinking you owed them more money. TiVo, though, is willing to fix something that really shouldn't need fixing (esp. if you're just going to plop a new drive in, anyway). TiVo rox.
  15. jlb

jlb NCC-1701-D

Dec 13, 2001
    Or maybe there are bad sectors on the drive, which have been "locked/protected/etc" by the system, thus only "39 hours" of available record time.

The whole discrepancy is even worse when you start talking iPods. My 30Gb iPod Photo only has a little over 27Gb of available space after the system files and "byte rounding" is taken into account.

It's great that TiVoJerry is willing to help the OP out, but 1 hour......really.........I just don't see that as a concern. And how many of the average Joes who buy a "40 hour TiVO" are really going to know what screen to look at to find out what their "actual" recording time is.
  16. Sirshagg

Sirshagg New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    TivoJerry is doing the right thing. Someone at Tivo should look into it. Unlike Apple and ipod they are not selling a 40gb Tivo they are selling a 40hour Tivo. It should be capable of recording 40 hours not 39.

As I have already stated - I don't care about the hour. However, if nobody says something how are they supposed to know about it.

That's all
  17. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Active Member

Oct 6, 2003
    I've seen this before in my DirecTiVos. It came down to the hard drive was a slightly smaller Western Digital drive. All Maxtor drives used in most of the DVRs I owned were about 1 to 3GB bigger than the Western Digital DVRs. I'm very pleased with the way TiVoJerry is offering to help the OP most CE suppliers would not care.
  18. bmgoodman

bmgoodman New Member

Dec 20, 2000
    My Dockers-free Tivo (540) was supposed to be a 40-hour also, but it showed up as 39 hours as well. Doesn't matter now as it is magically much bigger. :D

But I do think somebody could well complain about being sold a 39 hour vs. 40 hour model.
  19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I have never seen TiVos give consistent number of hours reports. EG I have seen and read of the same type 540 with the same OS give differetn hours. I have seen TiVos report more hours after an OS upgrade was installed. Most likely why an FSI is a hard problem as well.
  20. Sirshagg

Sirshagg New Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Ok, when did this Dockers free Tivo thing happen? I could really start liking Dockers.