1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

extracting files from external hard-drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by fpccsvb, Jul 14, 2012.

1. fpccsvb

fpccsvb New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Hi,

My Tivo HD died recently (power just went kaput), and I have some personal recordings on the external HD that I'd like to recover. I replaced the HD with another Tivo, but when I connect it, the new Tivo wants to format the drive. Is there anyway to get access to the files on the drive, either via Tivo or other methods? If I connect the HD to a laptop,will that work?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Hello, Welcome to the TiVo community. Is fpccsvb short for something or just random characters?

Unfortunately No, Most of the files are spread across both drives. You need both drives and the DVR that recorded them.

Do you still have the original TiVo HD and Hard drive?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, you will not be able to recover anything since tivo stores the recordings across both drives and when you remove it, its erased.

4. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Did you get the same model TiVo?

TCD652160?

or nearly the same

TCD658000?

If so, you might be able to perform a power supply swap which would let you use the old HD with it's internal drive and your external drive just like before to save those shows.

If not, you might still be able to repair the power supply in the old TiVo.

When you say power went kaput, do you mean when you plug it in absolutely nothing happens? No lights on the front, the fan doesn't spin?