1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extra tuner for tivo mini in sd menus

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jdanna, Jun 10, 2013.

1. jdanna

jdanna New Member

May 2, 2008
    So I just got a TiVo premiere4, and after using the HD menus for about a day, I immediately went back to the SD menus. the hd menus are absolutely unusably slow, to the point of being worthless.

Question is, now im thinking of adding a TiVo mini, but it wont let you enable a tuner for it without turning on the HD menus. if you switch back to SD, it seems to re-enable the tuner for normal use.

Is there any way to allow a tuner for a TiVo mini, but keep my permiere4 in SD menus?

I really want to buy a TiVo mini for another room in my house - but I would honestly throw the premiere4 in the garbage before turning the hd menus back on. Hell I would rather gargle broken glass then use the hd menus ever again.

Am I just not able to get the mini, or is there a trick to leave it enabled with sd menus?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    You only have to use HDUI to choose how many tuners to dedicate to Mini. Once you set that you can go back to SDUI mode.

NOTE: Mini only has HDUI option, but you'll find it is MUCH speedier than on Premiere and is actually a pleasure to use. I use a Mini as a front end to my Elite which I find too slow to use directly.

3. jdanna

jdanna New Member

May 2, 2008
    Oh yay that's great news.

Is there a way to verify the setting took hold? When I had hd menus on and I brought up the tuner pop up it said that one was reserved for remote devices. When I switch back to SD it doesn't show that anymore, it shows what all 4 tuners are tuned to.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Well, it's pretty easy to test - with 1 tuner dedicated to Mini try recording 4 things at once to see what happens.

5. ajwees41

ajwees41 Active Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

The HD menus are slow during the first few days and speed up later.