1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External Storage Missing

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by n8Leon, May 19, 2012.

1. n8Leon

n8Leon New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Yup, it happened to me. :-(
    This morning, the TiVo had this message on it.
    I do not believe the power had cycled.

I have the TiVo Series 3 HD.
    About a month ago I got the WD MyBook AV 1TB
    After replacing the useless/included eSATA cable with one I found at MicroCenter,
    it has been working fine for about a month.

My PC (Computer / Disk Mgmt) does recognize the drive via the USB interface,
    so at least the disk is alive and spinning in there.

Do I have a 2nd eSATA cable gone bad?!

I did try power cycling the TiVo several times, including manually delaying power up of the WD MyBook.
    But I still end up at the "External Storage Missing" screen.

Any ideas?

TIA,
    n8

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Double check the cable and connections(check/clean the connections for oxidation). You might even open the tivo and check the sata connections to the motherboard. Don't delay starting the ex drive. The ex drive definitely needs to be running when the tivo starts up.

Try the original "cheap" cable that came with the drive.

Connect the ex. drive to your pc(via esata) and run the wd diagnostic utility on it. Download the utility to cd from wd support website. Best not to bother with windows version of the diagnostic. Use the boot cd version.

If you get it running, make sure to never (accidentally) disturb the ext drive and cable.

Good luck.

3. Teeps

Teeps Active Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Good advice.
    And the reason I ditched the external drive and did the 2TB internal drive.

Connections = potential problems...

Does your PC have an E-Sata port? If so you can test the cables without having to buy a new one.

4. n8Leon

n8Leon New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Yup, that was the ticket.
    I think the ex drive had over-heated and shutdown.
    When I was restarting the TiVo, the drive was getting powered up automatically (via eSATA signal?), but that was too late.
    After I finally noticed that, I manually powered up the ex drive, plugged in the TiVo, and it was all good.

Thanks for the tips!
    n8

5. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Since the myBooks don't have cooling fans(afaik), it's probably very important that they are placed in a relatively cool area, with good ventilation. The tivo is much more "sensitive" to having a stable connection to the external drive, than say a normal computer. The Tivo must "see" the properly operating ext drive 24/7.

If you continue to have this issue, start looking into just upgrading the tivo to a single, large internal drive.

6. n8Leon

n8Leon New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    And now, the rest of the story...
    (or, how this all started)

My wife was trying to sleep in the living room.
    Apparently, somebody was snoring. :confused: ;)
    The MyBook was flashing lights up the living room wall and bothering her,
    so she put a blanket over it, and in the morning, found the dreaded TiVo screen.

She said she won't do that again. :)

Thanks,
    n8

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you have an HD, you can "borrow" the eSATA connector and plug it into a regular SATA port.