1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

external drive failed, now stuck in external drive missing boot loop

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by rodneyremington, Aug 24, 2012.

1. rodneyremington

rodneyremington New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Clovis, CA
    TiVo HD, had an external drive that I think failed as I can hear the hard drive grinding and the TiVo wouldn't boot up. I removed the external drive, now I am stuck in a loop where it tells me my external drive is missing, I follow the instructions to reboot to remove it, then I am back at the same external drive missing screen. I can't get past it. It's like it needs the external drive to be readable in order for it to divorce it from the system and successfully reboot. What are my options?

2. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Do you have recordings that you are trying to save? If the external drive is toast, then they are probably lost anyway. If that is the case, you could always pull the internal drive, run the manufacturer's long drive test on it, and then re-image it with the Tivo SW. There is an Upgrade Forum that discusses the free tools for imaging and allows you to request images. I have a virgin image for the S3HD if you can't find a link in that forum.