1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extending Wireless Network: Time Capsule (AC version) to Extreme/Express

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by jdag, Sep 5, 2014.

1. jdag

jdag New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I currently have a new Time Capsule (the AC tower version) and have it set to extend wireless networking to a couple of AirPort Express routers (1 of the older wall-plug style, and 1 of the current AppleTV sized style).

Both Express units report "Excellent" connectivity and are running on 802.11a/n at between 216 and 275Mb/s.

Would I benefit from upgrading 1 or both of those Express units to the new Extreme AC model? Would the Time Capsule to Extreme AC offer higher throughput?

The reason for this question is that I just purchased a TiVo setup and am experiencing some intermittent connectivity issues. Currently I have 2 TiVos connected to 1 of the Express routers via a switch. So the TiVos are not running wirelessly per se.

I know I can add a MoCA network to run the TiVos, but would rather accomplish via the AirPorts as I have other uses for the AirPorts anyhow.

Thank you in advance.

2. questors

questors Member

Jun 4, 2009
    I was using an Airport Express to extend my Airport Extreme to the TiVo and was getting marginal connectivity. I moved the Airport Express near the TiVo and connected its Ethernet port to the Tivo. Works great.

3. jdag

jdag New Member

Mar 13, 2006
    I will try the direct connection as you've mentioned (as opposed to through a switch).

4. flashedbios

flashedbios New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    I Thought all time capsules were DC and ran off a AC to DC converter. are there ones now that are straight AC and have their converter internally?

5. NJ Webel

NJ Webel Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Richmond, VA
    I think he's talking about this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac
    ;)