1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by trad444, Nov 25, 2013.

1. trad444

trad444 New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    What's everyone buying, Is the tivo extended warranty the best way to go? I just got the entry level roamio with lifetime. So I would like to make my investment worth while.

2. lgnad

lgnad Pantless Mofo

Feb 14, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Where did you buy it? Best buy's warranty is transferable. On the lower-priced units, its cheaper than Tivo's warranty. There is a crossover point where the Tivo extended warrantee is cheaper.

I knew something newer was going to be coming down the pipe, so I didn't get warranties on my XL4 and 2 tuner premier. The Mini I knew I was going to lifetime (and use a long time) and so was all over getting the Best Buy warranty.... even with it being a simpler device, more bullet-proof, for $20 for 1+4 years coverage for a device that was ~$250 was worth it to me.

When I pick up a Roamio I'm sure I'll invest in the coverage, since I'll be using it a long time. :)

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you're buying lifetime it's worth it. TiVo will transfer lifetime to a uniit replaced under warranty, they will not transfer lifetime for any other reason without at least charging you $200, if you can even get them to offer you that deal. With lifetime costing $400-500 it's worth $40 for 3 years.

4. trad444

trad444 New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I bought it from amazon but I'm sure their extended warranty doesn't cover the cost of service, correct? So my best option is probably the tivo one then?

5. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo will transfer lifetime service if a unit is replaced by a 3rd party warranty, you just have to provide them paperwork proving it was replaced by a warranty.

6. sushikitten

sushikitten 143 down, ??? to go! TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    DC-ish Suburbia
    Yes. We've already had three tivo premieres die within 8-10 months. Well, well worth it.

7. trad444

trad444 New Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Great thanks Dan do you know if the charge a fee to transfer lifetime when covered under a 3rd party warranty?

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    No. As long as you can prove it was replaced under extended warranty they'll do the transfer.

9. Coffee

Coffee New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I think that the TiVo warranties are only up to 3 years. If you RMA a lifetime unit in under 3 years, the lifetime is transferred at no cost. You just pay the hardware replacement cost (which is the part that's covered in their 3-year warranty).

I understand that BestBuy offers warranties that are longer than 3 years. I don't know what will happen in that case.

10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20

11. eric102

eric102 Member

Oct 31, 2012
    The 4 year Best Buy warranty on the base Ramo is $35, for me its worth the peace of mind.

12. jcaudle

jcaudle Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    I have never understood why Tivo has such a crappy warranty compared to most consumer Electronics 1 year parts and labor. The Tivo warranty will only replace the box one time with probably a refurb box. One time I replaced a defective Tivo it took me 3 boxes to get one that worked properly, and they surely didn't want to send the 3rd one.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    After the TiVo is replaced under warranty the new box has the normal 90 day warranty, so if there is anything wrong with the replacement you'll be able to exchange it. Also you have the option of buying an extended warranty for the replacement as well. So you can restart the clock on the replacement and keep your lifetime service going if anything ever goes wrong with it.

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If a warranty for a certain period of time evaporates before the end of that period because it had to be honored, then it wasn't really a warranty, it was a wager.

15. PalmTrees

PalmTrees New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    At a minimum, you should use a 'gold' or 'platinum' credit card for your purchase that doubles your warranty. With most of those credit cards, just make sure to hold on to all your documentation, and if anything goes wrong between months 13 and 24, visa/mastercard/amex will pay for the cost of repairs.