1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended warranty

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by oldradio99, Sep 26, 2012.

1. oldradio99

oldradio99 New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    I am ready to get the Tivo Premier XL with the 4 tuners and the price is the same with Tivo directly and with Best Buy.

Both offer $39.99 for a 3 year extended warranty.

Anyone have any experience with either and which would you buy?

Anyone warrant theirs with Square Trade?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Best Buy has a three year warranty? When I check online it only shows a two year or four year option.

The TiVo warranty can only be used once since they will always replace the TiVo if it needs to be serviced. With the BestBuy warranty, if the box can be repaired then the warranty will stay in force. But if the box needs to be replaced then that warranty ends when the box is replaced.

3. Kerwin51580

Kerwin51580 New Member

Sep 20, 2012
    New York...
    We got ours from Best Buy, but we did get the warranty from TiVo. Since we'd get charged the same price from both places (including sales tax), it came down to shipping cost and a lack of patience.:) Best Buy it was!

4. oldradio99

oldradio99 New Member

Nov 22, 2005

Want to make sure I understand. You bought the TiVo at Best Buy but then later purchased the extended warranty from TiVo?

How did you do that?

5. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    No matter where you purchase the TiVo, You have the option when activating the TiVo online to purchase an extended warranty from TiVo.

TiVo also gives you 90 days from date of activation to still purchase the TiVo extended warranty.

6. oldradio99

oldradio99 New Member

Nov 22, 2005

Thanks

7. Rassilon

Rassilon New Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Seattle
    If you have lifetime service on the unit will the lifetime transfer to a new machine in the event of a warranty replacement? If so, will it transfer with either the BestBuy warranty or the TiVo one?

8. oldradio99

oldradio99 New Member

Nov 22, 2005
    TiVo told me they will transfer it if within a 3 yr payback period.

After that it would be $199 to transfer.