1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Expansion Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DustyB13, Sep 16, 2013.

1. DustyB13

DustyB13 New Member

Sep 16, 2013
    I've got a Premier 4XL and a Seagate 3TB external drive, converted to ESATA. Any way to use these together?

2. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Isn't there also a 500GB version?

4. CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. MeCouchPotato

MeCouchPotato New Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Any drive connected that exceeds a total system space of 3TB when added to the internal drive will be reported as incompatible.

6. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    On top of which there's the issue of the TiVos having a very short list of actual bare drive Western Digital model numbers and only if the drive inside your eSATA external enclosure is on that list will the TiVo deign to work with it.

7. DonWidmore

DonWidmore Member

Dec 27, 2006
    I hoped to purchase a 2TB external drive during the Xmas season for my Tivo Premiere. Has anyone made this work? I only see references to the WD My Book AV DVR Expander which seems to top out at 1TB

8. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Get a WD20EURS and use comer's jmfs to copy the internal to it and expand into the rest of it by adding another partition, and use that internally, put the original drive somewhere safe, and forget about doubling your chances of drive failure costing you all of your recordings when you add an external.