1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EW Article: When is it okay to reveal a spoiler?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markz, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1 of 36
    markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Interesting article discussing when it is okay to reveal a spoiler.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/10/03/s...usiello+Files)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

It mentions Kurt Sutter of SOA releasing a spoiler while speaking about an actor's death in real life:

Discuss!

2. Oct 4, 2012 #2 of 36
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    If I enjoy a show or haven't seen a movie I want to see, I avoid announced spoilers.

If I happen to catch one, it's not the end of the world.

It's TV and the movies. Life has bigger issues than fretting over spoilers.

3. Oct 4, 2012 #3 of 36
    markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Exactly!

I don't fret over it. Sometimes my wife will mention having read a spoiler. I usually tell her to go ahead and tell me. They are usually something minor, not on the level of Luke's father or them all being dead or anything.

4. Oct 4, 2012 #4 of 36
    pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    I just hate when they put a spoiler in the title of the article (mainly websites) such as "So-and-So wins 22nd season of Survivor".

That coud easily be changed to say "Survivor announces new winner".

5. Oct 4, 2012 #5 of 36
    markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I don't like when they are spoiled like that without regard for the user that doesn't know, but I expect it when I start reading certain sources.

More often than that, things will be spoiled by my facebook friends or something before I have watched a show.

I have a friend in California that watches some of the shows I watch, so I try extra hard not to jump right on facebook to post when someone dies, gets voted off, etc.

6. Oct 4, 2012 #6 of 36
    jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    If an actor DIES, I don't see how media outlets can keep that secret.

7. Oct 4, 2012 #7 of 36
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I don't understand the connection between an actor on a show dying and a random unrelated character's death having recently aired. It's not like they just filmed that episode. Nor is the impact on the show of the actor's death going to be seen on the very next episode. I would not have expected that spoiler if I had read that post because it seems completely unrelated.

8. Oct 4, 2012 #8 of 36
    markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    It wasn't the actor's death that was the spoiler. The actor hadn't even been on the show in a couple of years. However, the show's creator mentioned the impact of the death on the crew and related it to another character that was killed off in the episode that had just aired 2 days before. Some people had not seen the episode and didn't know someone was dying off.

9. Oct 4, 2012 #9 of 36
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Facebook has pretty much ruined spoilers. People post anything and everything. It's hard to miss. The only show I really care about is The Walking Dead. I avoid Facebook until after I watch it. Given that so many characters get killed, I like it to be a surprise.

I will probably also avoid Facebook when American Horror Story returns. That will also be loaded with surprises and deaths.

10. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    The moment a show ends viewer beware. At this point even who timeshifts their viewing should just be on guard. If you go online and Yahoo has a headline that spoils something for you:

Oh well.

That is my opinion.

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Ah, that makes more sense. Without reading the article linked in the OP, you didn't make it very clear what the issue was.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    This.

I feel no pity for anyone offended by a spoiler AFTER a show has aired.

13. pmyers

pmyers Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ

I agree to a point...but if you are on a general news site such as cnn, fox, local news site there is no need for them to put up a headline that says "So-and-so wins Survivor" instead of "Survivor announces new winner" and then allow the user to make a choice if they want to be spoiled.

14. deaklet

deaklet Gemütlichkeit

Feb 15, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    All spoilers are fair game after the show airs. I structure my viewing to accommodate spoiler-avoidance. That is, I chose to watch Survivor last night over Vegas, since I knew it would be harder to avoid Survivor spoilers.

Every time I've read/heard a spoiler, I've managed to live through it with little angst.

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    This is just as ignorant as the way networks treat viewers. Viewers no longer watch on the networks schedule. They watch on their own schedule.

16. markz

markz Hilarity Ensues

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I don't think it's fair game to announce spoilers when the show has aired on the east coast before they air on the west coast.

Or for example, those of us watching Downton Abbey now when it doesn't air here in the US till January.

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Plus some shows air in Canada before they air in the US. This happened a few times last year with The Office and Parks and Recreation.

18. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I got ripped apart here for posting my annoyance that EW had an article in it's "deals" section titled "What Next For Rosie Larsens Killer" with a large picture of the actor. This was the week after the finale aired. They usually go out of their way to avoid spoilers and it was on a completely unexpected page so I was thrown.

Doing what you said would have solved that completely.

19. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    There has to be a statute of limitations on spoilers. I don't think that it's locked in stone, but it's situational.

20. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Another case of "tough beans". The show has officially aired, all bets are off. If someone chooses (for whatever reason) to wait to watch, then they will have to deal with what this new world of instant news/info throws at them.

If they don't like it, watch the show, then surf the web.