1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eureka - "Lost" OAD 4-16-12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Agatha Mystery, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Agatha Mystery

Agatha Mystery Active Member

Feb 12, 2002
    BFE, So....
    I'm not a fan of the direction that the writers took GD. It's less of a fun, quirky show the way this episode went. How many people does Beverly have kidnapped? Just the Astraeus crew? I'm not sure we really needed yet another show reboot. Maybe the writers are hoping for a reprieve.

2. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was almost going with it until Beverly popped up. I mean, I knew she was in there somewhere because we had seen that, but as a mind control thing? I don't know. I hope they resolve it in the next couple episodes.

Jo and Carter kissing seemed almost incestuous, but I knew that something was up. He didn't greet Alison the same way Henry greeted Grace.

It was great to see familiar faces!

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm not entirely sure what happened with this show behind the scenes...they had six episodes left, which had already been filmed; Syfy gave them another episode to end it properly; but now they're saying this season will have 14 episodes. So does that mean seven episodes after the "proper ending"?

4. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    This season had already been filmed when the cancellation came down. The 6, not 7 episodes are NEXT season.

5. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Really was enjoying this until the twist ending. Loved the evil Andy. Loved the time jump forward. Not so sure about the virtual land now. Hopefully they'll figure it out soon, but I kind of doubt it. It's not bad exactly, just sort of a cop-out.

Anyway, I'll keep watching.

6. JoBeth66

JoBeth66 Temp

Feb 15, 2002
    Consensus at my house was that this was Siffy's way of making sure the fans of this show are glad it's done with.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Ah, I see what happened. They announced a six-episode Season 6. Then they took it back, and added an episode onto Season 5 to wrap it up.

I was conflating the two seasons.

8. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Once they had the flashes during Zane's shock to the chest, I knew it was an artificial reality. After that, the "twist ending" wasn't that much of a twist.

I just hope they don't drag it out for too long. I hate artificial reality storylines. It's a whole lot of effort for something that ends up not being real. (I mean "real" in storyline context. I know nothing this show is real. I mean "real to the characters.")

I thought it was interesting seeing the menacing Andys... but the whole tone to the show was all wrong. If there's one thing I like about the show, it's that no matter what, the feeling is always at least partially light-hearted, and I didn't get that at all from this episode, and I don't get that from a plot line involving Beverly kidnapping half the town. I want the goofier, more light-hearted Eureka back.

9. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Some of the questions that popped up as I watched it with a friend -

Is the whole town mind controlled into submission? it seemed so until we got to Carter, Henry and even Vincent who seemed not to be. By that I mean, not the happy face that Whil Wheaton and others had. It was what they were trying for with Henry and Grace but I wondered why it hadn't been done to Henry yet. These questions we asked during the commercials when we decided it must be a dream or something. It didn't all add up right.

Deputy Andy needed a goatee to be evil Andy.

10. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    I'm pretty sure that the only people Beverly has inside her VR simulator are the Astreaus crew. You have to remember that everything and everyone else is a construct serving Beverly's evil plan. Within that construct what happened was that the DoD put the AI's in charge of Eureka, and doing so made a lot of people decide to quit. Before they were allowed to leave GD, they had an "Exit interview" with Andy, after which they decided to stay on (because Andy used the Universal Mind Control Device). So people like Carter and Vincent (who weren't GD employees), never got the UMCD treatment and therefore were suspicious of the AI's motives.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    There looked like a lot more people at the end than there were in the Astreaus crew, but I'd have to go back and take a look at the crew photo to be sure.

12. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Weren't there 18 in the crew? Or thereabouts. That's what I remember. The shot seemed about right to me.

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I will say, that when I saw the title of the episode, I am glad at the end they didn't end up in Purgatory - though it still could be purgatory in Alison's mind or something like that.

14. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    The real question is, why go through the ruse with the mind control/sedation scenario in the first place, when Beverly already had them under full control? She could have just simulated a split second trip, and had the crew back at their old posts in Eureka, if all she wanted was to harvest the results of their work.

Aside from the fact that the show writers needed something to happen that excited the viewers and get them hooked with the twist, maybe the point was to get them off the planetary exploration project, which she couldn't profit from?

15. pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    I'm guessing that Beverley is attempting to harvest confidential information from them. By creating fake circumstances where they will break their loyalty to GD.

After all, in their minds, it's 2015/6 and most likely the information that Beverley seeks relates to something that is due to happen between now and then, so revealing it shouldn't matter, if their situation was real.

Also, how old is Jenna in the real Eureka world? The virtual Jenna appears to be a lot older than real Jenna + 4.

16. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Seems unlikely. If they have the ability to create a direct brain interface virtual reality, reading some memories should be trivial, like reading data from a hard drive.

It would make more sense if she has a specific problem that needs creative genius to be solved, and Beverley is going to use their minds to solve the problem.

17. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    In crreating the new reality 4 years down the road, Beverly created a way to explain away any inconsistencies they Kay see between real life and the br reality. She needs them to solve some problem that would be hard to explain in reality, but by introducing all the changes to their life, She both threw them off balance and trained them to expect that there will be changes to their lives that seem incongruous with what they knew

She basically introduced them to a world where the problem will be slipped into reality and wont seem as abnormal. In fact, she inserted AI versions of the crew's loved ones will act differently than normal without raising their suspicion.

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    They've rebooted this show so many times that I think it's running on Microsoft Windows.

19. zuko3984

zuko3984 Active Member

May 4, 2002
    The thing that bothered me while i was watching the episode was that no one seemed to be really concerned with why the ship launched on it's own and what happened to the crew and where they were for 4 years. They didn't seem to be doing much of an investigation or anything and it was just like ok your back and just try to slip back into your life.
    Even once the twist was revealed it was still odd that none of the crew seemed to be very interested in what happened to them and why 4 years had passed.

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm not sure I like the mind control angle but I'll let them tell their story.

I don't normally like kids on my tv shows but Jenna was cute. Just don't over do her.