1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethernet port specs

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by nesbitttivo, Dec 22, 2013.

1. nesbitttivo

nesbitttivo New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Edmond
    I can't seem to locate anywhere the specifications for model of network controller in the mini. The reason for wanting to know is because the network connection will not negotiate faster than 100mb full.

I thought the nic supported gigabit. If not gigabit wouldn't the MOCA adapter be faster speeds than 100mb?

If it does support gigabit I will need to check my cables to make sure they support gigabit speeds.

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    10/100 only. But since it only supports streaming one show at a time, and those shows will never exceed 20Mbps, it doesn't need gigabit.

3. nesbitttivo

nesbitttivo New Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Edmond
    Ok. Now what about the Roamio basic? I was told by TiVo tech support that the Roamio's have the exact same network controller as the mini. Is that true?

4. MikePA1

MikePA1 New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Roamio Basic is 10/100.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yes Roamio Basic is only 10/100. In that case it's likely a cost saving measure. They were trying to make the basic as inexpensive as possible. It also does not have MoCa so your only options for networking are Ethernet or WiFi, unless you get a bridge.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    And even if using wireless on the Roamio basic at a 300Mb/s link rate, it will still not exceed the speed of the wired connection. I initally had hoped I would get faster speeds over 5Ghz wireless since many of my other devices have no problem exceeding 100Mb/s speeds with a 300Mb/s link rate(Usually they can get up to 150Mb/s throughput). But the Roamio Basic wireless must also connect through the ethernet port which would limit the speeds over wireless to the max wired speeds.

I guess they figure the Pro and Plus only need the faster speeds because of the built in Stream. So the Romaio Basic wireless maxes out around 95Mb/s. The same as from a wired connection.