1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Esquire Network replaces Style Network

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Sep 23, 2013.

1. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Esquire Network Boss Expects Style Network Transition Will Be ‘Natural and Intuitive’

My comments are not really appropriate for a family-friendly forum. But if you're curious about why your Style Network SPs aren't going to be picking anything up anymore, now you now why.

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Has it happened yet? Or are they gonna delay this again, like when it was supposed to replace G4?

3. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Nope, it's live now. Looks like it started with a show on Esquire Magazine's 80th Anniversary this morning, a show they're re-airing right now.

4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Hmm.. No change here yet.

5. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Really? Huh. The channel name is still listed in the guide here as STYLE and STYLEHD, but it currently is again re-airing "Esquire's 80th" and the on-screen "bug" definitely shows "Esquire Network."

What are you seeing where you are?

6. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Why such a strong response? The short notice sucks, but it's not unheard of, Style wasn't doing well.

7. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    I think one of the issues is that not many people had Style Network SPs. I have heard though that their more popular shows will more than likely show up either on Esquire or another one of NBCU's channels.

8. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    You don't see anything strange about a guy saying that they're being 'welcoming' to women, while they are changing a channel to have an explicit male brand and focus? And their excuse for this change is that there isn't enough guy stuff on TV already. :rolleyes:

9. ewolfr

ewolfr .

Feb 12, 2001
    SoCal
    The announcement of the changeover was covered several weeks ago here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=501030

Granted it was buried halfway into the thread but there was quite a bit of new discussion about it.

10. RegBarc

RegBarc New Member

Feb 18, 2003
    You have a relatively documented history here of posts that are (to say the least) not precisely male-friendly. Some would even label your views as misandry (and I would agree with that for the most part). I think this thread, and this post in particular, is an example of that.

11. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I have a problem with it in the same way I have problems with networks that take a decidely female slant (WE, Lifetime/The Burning Bed Network, Oxygen, O). It doesn't matter, if they don't have stuff I want to watch I don't, if they do, I do.

It comes down to money, they have to be able to see a reason to keep the programming they had, it wasn't working, they are trying something new.

I don't know what you classify as "guy stuff", but I think there is a lot of common ground out there.

12. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    This "guy" channel has a lot of Project Runway and Sex & the City on its schedule.

13. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I didn't even know I got Style and StyleHD. I probably won't be watching much of Esquire either if it's just reruns and reality shows.

14. MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe ♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    I don't pay much attention to which Networks target what audiences. In general, if there's something on TV I want to watch, I'll watch it. I notice the show before I notice the network.

I'd like to see LMN target guys.

"She ****ed me over, stole my kid, gets 30% of my paycheck for the next 15 years, and society thinks I deserve it because I'm a man"

That's a movie I would watch.

15. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    Not so much that there isn't enough guy stuff on TV. But that there isn't enough guy stuff in the NBC Universal family of channels. Other than sports, and video games, that is.

NBCU owned Style and Bravo. They are chasing the same audience. Meanwhile, nothing in their corporate family is chasing the audience Esquire is after.

16. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    You're completely missing the point. Penises are evil.

17. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I spank mine for being bad all the time.

18. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
  19. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    You are so ignorant, it's actually quite shocking. The network will feature programs on cooking, travel, and style. How are those topics unwelcoming to women???

Oh and like there isn't a ton of "women stuff" on TV? Bravo, Lifetime, LMN, OWN, WE, Hallmark, E!, & Oxygen are all geared toward a female audience. But don't let facts get in the way of another one of your bouts of verbal diarrhea.

20. lambertman

lambertman To see you, Nice

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    Oxygen, also.