1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESPN3 via TiVo...why not?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by skaggs, Nov 16, 2010.

1. skaggs

skaggs AlbanyHDTV

Feb 13, 2003
    Albany, NY
    As I sit here in front of my PC watching a college basketball game available only via ESPN3.com, I ask myself, why shouldn't I be able to watch ESPN3 via one of the TiVo units I have in my house?

I can stream Netflix, why not ESPN3?

Is it technically possible?

What is preventing TiVo from making an agreement with ESPN3?

2. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    That would be cool

What's preventing them? Don't have a clue.. But it is something I would be very curious about. I wonder if they (TiVo or ESPN) have thought about it. Where else can you access ESPN3 besides a computer and brower? Is there an app for that?

I wonder who would object. The leagues? Teams?

3. turbobuick86

turbobuick86 New Member

May 2, 2002
    I'm streaming ESPN3 on Xbox360. Can create your own profile and follow certain sports/teams. Verizon also has a deal with ESPN3.

4. Aero 1

Aero 1 Member

Aug 8, 2007
    get a boxee box, install espn3 app, enjoy on the couch. love the boxee box.

5. 84lion

84lion New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I had been wondering the same thing. Would really like to access ESPN3 content via Tivo, it's OK on the computer, but would be better on the TV.

6. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Streaming any website/video is possible on the TiVo Premiere... it has the hardware capabilities to do just about anything, but unless TiVo writes the software to take advantage of the capabilities, you out of luck.

7. bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    DLNA would've been nice (play-on.tv)

8. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Sure.. But I already have a TV that can do that and a BluRay player that can do that. Do I need a THIRD device on the same TV? Unless TiVo can develop a better interface, then no.

9. bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    we all clamor for every device to have netflix on it :confused:

and anyway, it was just a way to get espn3.com on the tivo, like the OP wanted.

10. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I have multiple devices that do netflix, too. And I don't even have a Netflix account. I don't need another. :)

Why do you need DLNA to see ESPN3? If you can have an ESPN3 app on XBOX, I guess you could have one on a TiVo.. Where does the DLNA come in?

11. bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    if tivo put DLNA on one of their boxes, they wouldn't have to create software for every single media platform (netflix, hulu, espn3, etc). playon streams over dlna all of those. i would prefer a dedicated "app" like we have for netflix and soon to be hulu, but it would allow us to get espn3 or whatever on our tivo without waiting for someone to create an app for it.

12. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Maybe I don't fully get how DLNA works.

I thought it was something that simply streamed photos or music or videos on a computer on your local network, and that computer had to have a DLNA server installed.

13. bigpatky

bigpatky Member

Apr 22, 2008
    that's exactly what it is. playon is a server on your computer that essentially streams different sources (your own media, netflix, hulu, espn3, comedycentral.com, nhl, mlb.tv, etc) and transcodes it on the fly while pushing that video to a dlna client. www.playon.tv

14. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    OK

I wouldn't want that. I would want the TiVo to hook directly up to ESPN3.com and not need to rely on another device on my network.

If you already have DLNA on your TV or BluRay player and the playon thing, why does TiVO need to do anything? Can't you already view ESPN3 on your TV now?

15. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I think what people are forgetting is that Tivo barely has the basics worked out in their newest unit. They are falling behind other devices at a very rapid rate. They need to work out the basics if they are going to implement things like this.

16. SoBayJake

SoBayJake New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    You don't "need" it...but that doesn't mean others don't "need" it.

(Really a "want" but that's an entirely different discussion!)

17. pops_porter

pops_porter New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I watched a basketball game that was only on espn3.com Wed. night on my Xbox. It was pretty slick and easy. I was suprised by the wide range of sports they have live and on demand. I do wonder why Tivo couldn't have this ability.

I clicked on the suggestions page under the contact us section of Tivo.com, hopefully other people are doing this as well!

18. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Member

Mar 5, 2004
    I would not expect the streaming of ESPN 3 to look that good on a larger TV but on a smaller monitor it might be OK. I've seen it on a computer monitor and i wouldn't run it to a TV.
    If Tivo could work out a buffer with the hard drive for the stream that might be worth exploring.

19. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I didn't expect it to either, but I stream it onto my 52" LCD through my Xbox360, and it looks great! It's obviously not as good as broadcast-quality HD, but I think it's definitely sharper than broadcast SD (when the source is from an HD feed). The only problem I noticed is that it seems like it gives fewer than 30 frames per second, giving it more of a "film" feel while watching it.

Of course, the quality depends on your internet speed, but with my standard FIOS plan, I was very impressed at ESPN3 on Xbox360.

20. lrhorer

lrhorer New Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I think the point you are missing is there is very significant value in having only one device with one UI presenting all the content, however many physical boxes may be involved underlying the delivery. I've mentioned this before more than once, but once I got the Series III Tivos with decent amounts of storage, I quit watching DVDs. It wasn't an intentional decision - quite to the contrary. It just was too... sequestered, I suppose. While not a big hassle, it was an extra amount of work, despite the fact I have a DVD Jukebox that can hold 400 DVDs. Now it's true the situation was made worse, as it were, by the fact the Jukebox was slow and its UI was poorly considered. It's also true the DVDs have much lower, only just acceptable resolution. The really big impediment, however, was having to switch the video inputs, turn on the DVD player, and wait for everything to settle down. The end result was I just never bothered to watch DVDs any longer. Now that PyTivo has a DVD plugin, however, I have started watching my DVDs, again.

I'm not hung up on the features of any UI, and general am not impressed by any UI. Indeed, I rarely ever even use the TiVo UI, unless you call pressing <Select>, <Play>, <RR>, and <FF> "using" the UI. Nonetheless, having a single, uniform UI is very important, whether the user realizes it, or not.