I was waiting for a large deposit refund from a landlord who hadn't said a word since I moved out. Guy waited until the last possible day to say, "check's in the mail". At the same time, eSATA dropped into the mix. I didn't see any point in spending money immediately when I'd just leave the drive sitting in the box while waiting for word on options for double-expansion. I also wanted to see the results of a SATA RAID on the external port to verify the 1tb per channel limit. I also wanted to read some reviews to determine whether the drive would be too noisy. Since they announced a "CinemaStar" version, I wanted to verify that the DeskStar line would support AMM. By the time I got my check, was confident that double-expansion was possible, and read a couple reviews, the drive was sold out. It only took a couple of days but I'd waited too long. Now I have the OEM version on order.