1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSATA + internal upgrade: Any progress?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jtown, May 8, 2007.

  1. May 8, 2007 #1 of 108
    jtown

    jtown New Member

    441
    0
    Sep 26, 2002
    I hate to start a new thread just to ask but the other threads seem to be wandering off into speculation about the source of the eSATA info and future reliability and such. I'm interested in finding out if anyone's made progress getting an external drive and internal upgrade working together.

    From what I can see, adding an eSATA drive and using the kickstart code on a system that's already been upgraded won't work. A couple people have mentioned making it work "by hand" but didn't follow up with any pointers to threads/forums where these manual workarounds are being attempted. Just one link where it's mentioned as being an issue. Is there any more information available in this area?

    Has anyone tried adding an eSATA drive to the stock drive, then upgrading the internal drive? I've seen this mentioned as an approach to try but no reports from anyone who's done it.

    It's kinda important as I'm ready to order a 1tb drive but I don't want to add it in a way that will eliminate the possibility of future upgrades. I'd prefer to replace the internal drive and keep my tivo setup nice and clean but I don't want to do that if it will prevent me from ever making use of the eSATA port. OTOH, adding it externally isn't really worth the noise/clutter if I wouldn't have the option of later upgrading the internal drive as well.

    Basically, if we're stuck with a single upgrade path, I'll stick with 1tb internal rather than 1.25tb combo.
     
  2. May 8, 2007 #2 of 108
    bkdtv

    bkdtv New Member

    7,902
    0
    Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    I believe spike2k5 is now working on a new version of MFSTools that will support up to 1Tb (binary) internal plus 1Tb external eSATA.

    Some forum members are apparently beta testing it now.
     
  3. May 8, 2007 #3 of 108
    jtown

    jtown New Member

    441
    0
    Sep 26, 2002
    [cartman]Sweet.[/cartman]

    I'll sit tight for a bit. If I had two big drives in-hand, I'd offer to test but I don't.
     
  4. May 9, 2007 #4 of 108
    larrs

    larrs Movie Fan-Addict

    1,011
    0
    May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Thanks for starting the thread. I agree, the others have become somewhat hard to read with most posts about the right enclosure, etc. I am also waiting on some info on this as well.
     
  5. May 9, 2007 #5 of 108
    generaltso

    generaltso Member

    964
    0
    Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    If they're looking for more testers, I'd certainly be willing. I've got a 750GB DB35 in my S3 and a second 750GB DB35 ready to be plugged into the eSATA port.
     
  6. May 9, 2007 #6 of 108
    jwehman

    jwehman Member

    687
    0
    Feb 26, 2003
    Superior, CO

    Try PM'ing spike2k5.
     
  7. May 9, 2007 #7 of 108
    generaltso

    generaltso Member

    964
    0
    Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
  8. May 9, 2007 #8 of 108
    beerkensp

    beerkensp New Member

    68
    0
    Dec 29, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If it is a new MFSTools will that allow my current 750Gb drive to be modified to allow ESATA?
     
  9. May 18, 2007 #9 of 108
    larrs

    larrs Movie Fan-Addict

    1,011
    0
    May 2, 2005
    DFW
    Waiting........ :)
     
  10. May 18, 2007 #10 of 108
    wackymann

    wackymann New Member

    384
    0
    Sep 22, 2006
    Boston Area
    I am waiting (im?)patiently too. I would LOVE to add another 750 GB or 1 TB drive to the 750 GB I already have inside my S3, but I won't do it until we have a rock solid implementation. My box is running so well, I wouldn't think of doing anything to it that hasn't been well tested by others. Kudos to all the beta testers out there!!
     
  11. May 21, 2007 #11 of 108
    jtown

    jtown New Member

    441
    0
    Sep 26, 2002
    Waiting less and less patiently. Already missed a chance to buy the 1tb drive for $399 out the door from PC Connection. (They're out of stock now and raised the price.) Now I'm going on vacation in a month and I'd really like to know which way I should do the first upgrade. I really don't care if I should do the first phase internal or external. I just want to make sure I don't upgrade myself out of a future expansion.
     
  12. May 21, 2007 #12 of 108
    sfhub

    sfhub Active Member

    1,270
    0
    Jan 6, 2007
    Think of it this way, spike2k5 is saving you money. There is little to record over the summer, and drive prices will no doubt be less in a few months once the seagate and wd 1tb drives are out.
     
  13. May 21, 2007 #13 of 108
    rudolpht

    rudolpht HD Maven

    36
    0
    Mar 8, 2003
    I would like to get mine working before the 6x Star Wars movies on Cinemax and HBO. I already have it on internal upgrade but it would be piece of mind to have on both. As I bought my 750GB pre-installed, I have to admit I'm pretty trepidatious about screwing with the main internal (I did get the tools etc working on DirecTivo but it was kludge city).
     
  14. May 22, 2007 #14 of 108
    jtown

    jtown New Member

    441
    0
    Sep 26, 2002
    Actually cost me money. PC Connection raised their price after selling out of their first shipment. :) It's going to be a while before these drives can easily be found for MSRP.

    FYI, I sent a PM earlier asking whether to make the first upgrade internal or eSATA and was told that upgrading the internal drive first and adding eSATA later is a good upgrade path.

    That's what I prefer so I'm happy. A little more work since I'll have to copy/expand my original drive but I won't have to worry about external cables. Now to find the drive for less than $450...
     
  15. May 22, 2007 #15 of 108
    sfhub

    sfhub Active Member

    1,270
    0
    Jan 6, 2007
    Best Buy is selling at MSRP. Just wait until they have it in stock. There are various other places willing to sell below MSRP once higher availability starts up. Price competition will start once the other 1tb drives are out. I can virtually guarantee in the next 2 months you will be able to get the Hitachi below MSRP.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8295588&st=1tb&type=product&id=1172880158065
     
  16. May 22, 2007 #16 of 108
    jtown

    jtown New Member

    441
    0
    Sep 26, 2002
    Best Buy adds tax and shipping. That's another $37.50 on top. Worth it if they had it in stock but not for backorder. I found that PC Connection lists the OEM version at $398.40 no tax, free shipping. The wait time's a bit longer but I'll wait and save a little money.

    For those who need it right now, TigerDirect lists the OEM version for $450 plus shipping. About $475 delivered ground. (Yes, the shipping charge is outrageous for ground.)
     
  17. May 22, 2007 #17 of 108
    c3

    c3 TiVoholic

    3,067
    0
    Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    I believe that if the internal drive dies, the content on the external drive would be useless.
     
  18. May 22, 2007 #18 of 108
    Arcady

    Arcady Stargate Fan

    3,960
    0
    Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Because, you know, you couldn't buy the drive and let it sit on a shelf until this works one day...
     
  19. May 22, 2007 #19 of 108
    generaltso

    generaltso Member

    964
    0
    Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Who stopped you from buying the drive?
     
  20. May 22, 2007 #20 of 108
    rudolpht

    rudolpht HD Maven

    36
    0
    Mar 8, 2003

    That is an excellent point I never thought of. Why bother. I guess I'll hang out with my unwrapped Appian (considering returning).

    Seriously, thanks.
     

Share This Page