1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EoC instead of MoCa

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by sleichli, Sep 26, 2013.

1. sleichli

sleichli New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I have a Roamio base model and three TVs - 1 TV has only coax running to it, the others have direct ethernet but no Coax. The coax has access to my router so I would like to do the following:

Direct connect my roamio to the network.
    Use the coax only TV to do EoC (ethernet over coax) and buy a Tivo mini
    Will the network recognize the mini even though it is over coax? What if I only had that TV using MoCa and the rest on direct connect via Cat5? Thanks for advice.

2. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Roamio base cannot create a MOCA network, only be a client of it.

But if you had MOCA going, yes you can have some Minis connect though
    MOCA and some connected through cat5 Ethernet. Everything would work just fine.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Does your router have MOCA built in? I don't think there is any real difference between MOCA and EoC. In any event the TiVo mini has MOCA built in so all you need is either a router with MOCA built in or one MOCA adapter at your Router & cable modem location (TiVo sells them for $49)

4. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    How could it be a MoCA client if it doesn't have MoCA built in? To use MoCA on a base Roamio at all, you'll need an external MoCA adapter and connect to it via Ethernet.