1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engadget Review

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by rmpearl, Mar 11, 2013.

1. rmpearl

rmpearl New Member

Oct 3, 2004
  2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Looks like SP and ToDo management are missing from the Mini according to the review:
    Which contradicts posts by some early users of the Mini. I'm confused.

3. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Most of these "journalists " know little of what they type. That goes for all news sites and especially TV . Trust the word of the stranger on the tivo forum than the "journalist" . At least the stranger on the net doesn't have a history of blatantly lying to you and giving false information.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    These are smaller that the Stream? Wow! that is small.

5. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Yeah, it is tiny... which explains the odd shape, they don't want you (foolishly) stacking anything on top of it.

6. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I love seeing some of the people post there comments there. If you dont like it dont buy it.. Someone does need to alert engadget to the SP and To do not being correct

and then all of the idiots complaining about No WiFi. I do like that engadget does defend that saying no other TV extender supports Wifi(C31 genie and Joey or any cable MR extender)

7. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    It seems like none of the review units have supported this. Ben even mentions the option on the screen is missing. I wonder if they are running the same version as those who bought them off the shelf.

8. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I seem to recall reading about a way to mount the Mini behind the TV and extending the IR. Looking at the port configuration on the back, it doesn't seem possible. Seems like the bluetooth slide remote is the only currently supported method of controlling the Mini if IR line-of-sight isn't available.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Since IR bounces off walls, it may very well work behind a tv without direct line of sight. I have a Roku mounted on the back of one of my tvs and it works just fine with IR. It is possible there will be some type of IR extender available.

10. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    That's not possible:

TiVo Mini: 6.09" x 6.09" x 1.3" (WxDxh)
    Tivo Stream: 4" x 4" x 1.05" (WxDxh)

I remember seeing a TiVo provided TV bracket that matches the Mini, maybe it's a separate purchase?

11. Austin Bike

Austin Bike New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    I had a friend recommend getting a 4"x4" velcro adhesive patch for mounting an apple tv on the back side of a TV. that might work as well, depending on how the bottom/feet are machined.

12. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Joined in 2010 and talking all that crap? Would you mind linking to one post or story I've ever posted online that is a "blatant lie."

13. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Ya know Ben, some people just can't handle having their baby being called "ugly". The reality is that if people don't take TiVo to task on this stuff (missing Netflix, tuning lag, dynamic tuner allocation) then they won't improve.

Some of us (me) appreciate the review work you guys are doing.

14. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Article says that it is smaller. I would think that it is wrong but thought it was very odd that it would be smaller.

15. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    I get that, but personal attacks or blanket statements about the media aren't helping.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate forums like this. Got my start writing posts at places like this.

16. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    That sentence changed meaning during editing. Thanks to you Philmatic for calling it out, I appreciate the correction and have already fixed it.

17. dsnotgood

dsnotgood New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Wow. I am saying that I trust the stranger on the net MORE than the news media..Engadget included. Re read what I said...

Btw... I was correct. The poster on the tivo forum was correct..Engadget was wrong.

18. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Could be they are both "right". Since tivo.com video on the Mini doesn't show anything about ToDo & SP management and none of the reviews on the Mini mention that functionality I'm inclined to believe that it is TiVo's intent NOT to have that functionality for the Mini. Could be that "cmonroe" who had early access to a Mini activated it as a Premiere instead, so the back end account config for the device is messed up. Also could mean the capability could be taken away for those that do indeed have it once the config is fixed. That would also imply though that it is possible to have the capability which makes it a head scratcher as to why not include that capability... I'm still confused I guess.

BTW, when I first got a Premiere I transferred over a 3 year pre-pay subscription to it and there were capabilities mysteriously missing on it when I was first using it. After head scratching and contacting 2nd level support at TiVo they figured out the Premiere was incorrectly configured in my account (essentially configured as an S3 unit instead of a Premiere) and they had to update the back end configuration for that device on my account to get things working properly. So looks like back end settings can have quite significant effect on functionality that you see.

19. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    U-Verse does, but that's what's possible when you compress your video so hard that it looks like YouTube a few years back...

20. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Engadget is a web site with many authors. You are saying I'm wrong with no proof, I clearly posted a screen shot without the "Manage Recordings and Downloads" menu used to access the To Do list. I also tried to use the TiVo Central shortcuts for Season Pass manger & ToDo List (1&2) which just results in error bongs.

I asked TiVo PR about it and this is the response I received "We are looking at adding local management of season passes on Mini in a future release."

You still haven't posted a link to anything I've written that was a "blatant lie."