1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endeavour - BBC

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Hcour, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    This is a prequel to the popular "Inspector Morse" series, portraying Morse as a young man new on the force. The mysteries are in that same familiar style - lots of suspects, plenty of red herrings, families with long-buried secrets, much of it centered around Oxford. Shaun Evans is excellent as the shy, taciturn young Morse. So far the mysteries aren't quite on a par with the best of the original series (or the sequel "Inspector Lewis"), but they're still ten times more intriguing than most of the crap we get over here in the "states", imho.

Well worth a look for fans of "Morse" and "Lewis".

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Title is a little misleading.

This show was on "Masterpiece Mysteries" on PBS this past weekend.

However, I do agree that it's worth a watch!

3. nirisahn

nirisahn Active Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    I think it shows promise, but hasn't quite hit its stride yet. Inspector Lewis flows a little more naturally. I wonder if it's because it takes place 50 years ago and they don't quite have the hang of making that feel real. Anyway, it's still pretty good and I'll keep watching it.

4. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    The characters weren't appealing to me at all. Much preferred the original Morse series. And sorry to see Inspector Lewis end its run.

5. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    Possibly, but it IS Morse' first name, and descriptive of his detective style.

Colin Dexter is not writing Endeavour, like he did Morse and Lewis. That's probably why it has a different tone and feel.

I too was sad to see Lewis go off into the sunset. Apparently both principal actors, Kevin Whately and Laurence Fox, both of whom I really liked, wanted to end these roles so they could pursue other projects. I still remember how very disappointed I was when Diana Rigg left The Avengers. Yeah, I'm THAT old!

6. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Active Member

Dec 6, 2004
    He meant having BBC in the title since it was on PBS and is not a BBC show anyway.

I'm pretty sure Dexter did not write Lewis.

I thought Lewis had got very stale the last couple of years. I think this show is much fresher, though there has been a lot of UK shows at in the recent past.

7. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    What stopped them from pursuing other projects? The 6-8 broadcast hours a year of Inspector Lewis couldn't have been that much of a drag on their time.

8. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    Love Endeavour, will miss Lewis, enjoying catching repeats of the original Inspector Morse on Hulu+.

9. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I'll miss Hathaway more than Lewis. That guy is a very interesting actor. I hope he does another series.

10. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    I was pleased that they worked "M-O-R-S-E" in Morse Code into the closing music as they always did in the original Inspector Morse. ;)

11. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    I hear you, and I agree. I was just quoting the article I read. They both ended the series so they could pursue other interests.

12. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    If you started watching Inspector Lewis in the middle of its run, and not from the beginning, there may be an episode you haven't seen, the pilot. Its not available from streaming on netflix or amazon. You'll need to find the separate dvd, or the first couple of season dvd sets released. Its not considered part of the first season of Lewis, since it came out over year before the series started airing.

13. Hcour

Hcour Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Just finished the series, which got better each episode. I thought the last two were just terrific. I'll definitely be looking forward to next season.

14. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I've watched a few Inspector Morse episodes but definitely not all, and I've watched the episodes of Endeavor that have been aired so far (all but the last one). There's apparently a backstory from Morse's time at Oxford that I'm not familiar with. Is that something that I would know about if I'd watched all of Inspector Morse? Or is it something that comes out in the final episode of the season (Home)? Or not at all?

I don't want to be spoiled if it's upcoming info, but if it was brought out in the previous series I'll go looking for it. Thanks!

15. Honora

Honora New Member

Oct 16, 2006
    There really doesn't seem to be anything in the series that would spoil things for someone later watching Morse. The stories in Endeavor really aren't referred to in the Morse series as he doesn't talk much about his early career.

But, it has shown some of the things that were referred to over a long period of time in the series/books: the woman he loved in college (she shows up in one Morse story), his family was mentioned, but not seen (I can't believe how much they were able to make his Dad look like a sickly, older John Thaw!), how he met Max, the pathologist, and the future Chief Superintendent Strange (I got chills the first time he called Endeavor "Matey"), and why Morse likes his Jag.

All this info was dropped in the Morse series like breadcrumbs over the years. Heck, we didn't find out his first name until almost the end!

For those of us who watched the series and/or read the books (I did both), Endeavor is fun when we spot something that we know about turning up. (For example the evil stepmother Gwen. Now we see why he couldn't leave home fast enough.)

Enjoy Endeavor, but do catch up with Morse, preferably in order. It's nice to see the relationship between him and Lewis developing.

16. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Has anyone found Morse streaming anywhere?

17. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I'd love to catch up, but I have to confess that 90 minute shows are very difficult for me to fit into my TV viewing schedule. I just don't have that much time for TV, and a bunch of the time I do have is watching with my kids, who need something a little faster paced (we're doing West Wing right now... talk about fast paced :p). So I generally have some on the TiVo and I try to get around to them when I can.

18. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    All episodes are on Huluplus.

19. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Thanks. I'll check again but I don't think I have any devices they support.

Added: Looks like my Sony Bravia may work. Thanks again.

20. nirisahn

nirisahn Active Member TCF Club

Nov 19, 2005
    Denver area
    tv.com also has them and doesn't require a subscription. I think it's actually piggybacking off Hulu, but you don't have to pay. You do have to put up with commercials.

Edit: I found full episodes of Inspector Morse on YouTube. No commercials!