1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elite Freezing/Cable amplifier

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by wexler2, Sep 25, 2012.

1. wexler2

wexler2 New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Having major problems with elite freezing, my cable signal is about 90.
    I live in a huge house and years ago had an amplifier put on to help our cable signal, and had a new one put on prior to getting the elite.
    Would taking off the amplifier help my elite? Woud it ruin my signal? and finally why do I ONLY have problems with my elite and not my other Tivo's???
    Thanks,
    wexler2

2. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It seems the Elite/XL4's extra tuners put a lot of added strain on the processor that can cause conflicts while navigating the user-interface in households with worn cables or too many cable outlets. When I reported incessant Elite freezes to TiVo tech support they told me to go into my house's crawl space and see if a rat chewed on the cables.

There's an exhaustive discussion about instability issues on the "TiVo Elite User Experience" thread at:

www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=481894

Although this thread didn't help me prevent UI freezes, it supports a pattern of problems with the Elite/XL4 that suggests TiVo chose to build their flagship model with an inferior tuner component, weak processor, or bad software, or some combination of those shortcomings.

3. wexler2

wexler2 New Member

Sep 16, 2012
    It is nice to hear someone that seems to have the same level of frustration with their elite. I have been keeping a log of the freeze ups for months and I have pages and pages. Someone on a thread asked me why I didn't call Tivo tech, BUT........... I got TIRED of calling Tivo and them always blaming the cable first SNR, then the error rate, next it was the signal strength. With my logs and data these things didn't seem to make much if any difference. A superior product wouldn't be causing so many people so many problems.

I just wish Tivo would admit first and foremost it is a TIVO problem.

Just needed to vent............
    wexler2:thumbsdown: