1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elementary Season One Thread

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mdougie, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mdougie

mdougie New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I have been watching, and think it's pretty good.

I do however think I have deduced the identity of Moriarty. It is Sherlock's father.

2. jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012
    nah, it's Charlie

3. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Very much enjoy the show.

4. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Yes, it is one of the few shows that both me and the wife enjoy.

Some people might be "offended" by the liberties being taken with the source material but it is really so different from the original that it doesn't bother me.

I can just take the show as a mystery series with a guy named Sherlock and a woman named Watson.

I was wondering how the writers are going to turn the young black kid into the "Baker Street Irregulars" but so far no such luck.

The show really does have some pathos with Sherlock being the recovering addict and estranged from his father. I like my heroes flawed but brilliant.

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Enjoying the show over here as well.

Has there been any reference to Moriarty yet?

6. mdougie

mdougie New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    In the latest episode the serial killer M said Moriarty is his employer.

7. Hoffer

Hoffer Captain Chaos

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Oh, I haven't watched last night's episode yet.

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    There may be some "liberties" but there are also some things that are dead on to some of the stories. One I noticed right off was when Sherlock was at the morgue (or hospital?) and Watson comes in to find him strangling dead people to test strength needed and markings. It's almost an exact replay of a scene in A Study in Scarlet. I loved that they did that.

There are other things, Watson being a big gun shy about surgery and medicine is right on because in the novels he was recovering from war and had what now may be considered Post Traumatic Stress.

Anyway, I am really enjoying both the show and rereading the novels.

Kindle - free

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-...930639&sr=8-1&keywords=sherlock+holmes+kindle

9. dylking

dylking I've never farded

Jul 20, 2003
    St Paul, MN
  10. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    You're not going to believe this one, but I had an Uncle Romeo and Aunt Juliet. Their last name was King.

11. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
  12. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I got a kindle paperwhite for Christmas and I love it. I haven't really read seriously for, well, decades.:eek: I was actually thinking I should read the novels. I may have read some of them a long time ago but really most of my knowledge of Sherlock Holmes comes from old movies/tv shows. But I'm already overwhelmed by the sheer amount of available reading out there. :)

13. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
  14. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I noticed that the text that Watson received was from "M. Holmes". Does anyone remember if the series has given Sherlock's father's name? There was that episode where Watson thought she was going to meet him, did his name get mentioned?

The books never mentioned the name of Sherlock's father.

Anyway, I think Sherlock's father being M-something is evidence against Sherlock's father being Moriarty, since Moriarty is too smart to choose his alias to begin with the same letter as his real name.

15. mdougie

mdougie New Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Actually that is the genius part. Sherlock would think that and thus never suspect it actually was him using his real name.:D

16. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    If it comes up again, I'd guess that the M was for Mycroft in this Holmes version.

17. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Do you mean that Sherlock's brother is pretending to be his father?

Or that his father is named Mycroft instead of his brother?

I suppose the M. Holmes could also just be the gender-neutral abbreviation of Mr./Mrs./Miss

18. Idearat

Idearat New Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    Take your pick. In the past we've only seen one other member of the Holmes family, and his name happened to start with the same initial as the message we saw. I'd put more money on it being Mycroft than I would it being Mike.

19. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    If I were to entertain the notion that the message came from Moriarty, then I could only suspect it's because Watson was not hired by Sherlock' dad at all, but by Moriarty himself. There has been no communication between either of them and Holmes' father to prove he actually did the hiring, so it could very well have been Moriarty. In that case, his father has had NOTHING to do with it, and she is there because of some agenda of Moriarty.

20. Cainebj

Cainebj Active Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I have to say this has become one of my favorite new shows of the year. It is consistently well written and acted.