1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elementary 5/16/13 "The Woman/Heroine"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, May 16, 2013.

1. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I had it all figured out pretty early in the first hour. Irene was Moriarty; the big reveal would be the season cliffhanger; next season will be the big showdown between Sherlock and Moriarty.

Good thing they had a better idea! :D

2. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I do not know if they will go this way, but it is conceivable that Irene is not really Moriarty (I keep wanting to call her Margaery). If not, then an explanation is that the former CIA psychological pressure-tactics guy, Isaac Proctor, could have had about a year and a half to work on her and give her an alter-ego which thinks it is Moriarty. I hope that is not the way they go (because it is too implausible), but Isaac's involvement, considering his specialty, seems so coincidental otherwise.

And what is Sherlock without Moriarty as a nemesis? So either Moriarty has to escape or Irene is not really Moriarty. Hopefully the former.

3. JMikeD

JMikeD Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Holmes in the books did very well without Moriarty. I hope Moriarty is gone, gone, gone in the TV series. I have little patience for continuing villains.

Mike

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I think she'd be a great villain in prison. That is, not actually DOING anything, not actually appearing on the show, just...existing.

Then she can escape a few seasons from now when the show needs a jolt.
    To me, she'll always be Anne Boleyn.

Oddly, the thing that gave her away for me was the accent. It was just...OFF. Over-the-top in a non-specific way, and Natalie Dormer is one of the least over-the-top actors around. I figured it had to be fake, because it SOUNDED fake, and if they didn't want it to sound fake they would have either had her do a non-fake accent (which she can do, if I recall Captain America correctly) or hire somebody else to do it. I just kept hearing a fake accent, and in this day and age there's no excuse for that...unless it's supposed to be fake.

5. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't think that is true. Although Doyle did not introduce Moriarty until the last several stories he wrote about Holmes, Doyle did a sort of ret-con to make Moriarty and his criminal empire a longtime concern of Holmes.

6. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    For being such a criminal mastermind, she sure was pretty stupid in letting herself get captured like that. A fake overdose and catching her when she comes to gloat seems a bit prosaic. It was a definite letdown.

7. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I didn't mind. The thing about Moriarty is that, although (s)he is a genius, (s)he is also arrogant. The trap Watson and Holmes set counted on that arrogance (and for this particular show, her feelings for Holmes).

8. SleepyBob

SleepyBob Active Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Did I miss something? I thought Moriarty gave Holmes the address so he could find Irene. I don't remember anything suggesting that she is Moriarty.

9. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Did you watch the second hour, or just the first? My system recorded it as one show, but perhaps you have two, "The Woman" and "Heroine", and you did not watch "Heroine"?

10. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yep, you missed something :)

11. SleepyBob

SleepyBob Active Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Maybe I'm on the wrong episode. :eek:
    Holmes and Watson just walked into a room in a big mansion, and Holmes said "Irene. Irene."

12. john4200

john4200 Active Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Have you been asleep for a week, SleepyBob? ;)

13. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Yep, last week's episode...

14. Azlen

Azlen Active Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Even Admiral Ackbar could see the potential for a trap here. But even if she didn't see the potential trap, going to a hospital room is just stupid. There is no easy way to exit and there was a definite possibility that even if it wasn't a trap that the police could be there given Sherlock's relationship with them.
    Then when she saw that he was alone, it definitely should have alerted her to the potential trap. Don't create a character who is supposed to be super intelligent and have her act really really dumb at a critical moment like that.
    I would have preferred a much more elegant trap where her arrogance was still her downfall. Faking an overdose and catching her when she visits the hospital seems more appropriate to catching a common street thug and even they would probably act a lot more suspicious of it being a trap.

15. jamesl

jamesl Member

Jul 12, 2012
    well there were police guards at his door, but she got rid of them somehow,
    I didn't hear what she said though

16. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Ca
    I think she said he was detained somehow, giving the impression he wasn't hurt.

17. Maui

Maui Major Lee Oblivious

Apr 22, 2000
    Decatur, IL
    I think the word was "Distracted". I just finished watching it.

18. jehma

jehma Active Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    What is the actress"s real accent?

Her American accent sounded off to me too. There was something hard about the sound of the words and it didn't sound natural. It didn't occur to me that it was an intentional plot device, though. I just thought it was a bad accent.

She's so interesting looking - very feline, somehow. I love her in GOT.

19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    She's Irish, so none-of-the-above.

And as I said, I've heard her do American before without noticing anything, so I suspect that whatever she was doing here was intentional.

20. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I was totally caught off guard. I thought the big reveal would have his father as Moriarty.