1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eBay Cablecard with FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by bradleys, Oct 10, 2013.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    So, I have FIOS - they do not require you to pair your Cablecard unless you have premium channels.

I was wondering if I could replace the Cablecard in my Premiere with one purchased on eBay and get all the Non Premium channels in my package (HBO, Cinimax etc...)

If I can save $5 a month on a TiVo that doesn't get a lot of use, that would be great!

Yes, a mini is an option and if this doesn't work - I will consider upgrading it. But I like the extra, separate tuners and storage for all the kids stuff.

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Some people in the past have said they were successful getting unencrypted local channels this way. But encrypted channels (everything that's not local) definitely won't work. The card needs to be activated and contain their firmware.

3. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Their firmware is what I was wondering...

FIOS doesn't require you to pair the card if you don't receive Premium channels.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    It doesn't need to be paired for most channels, but it does need to be activated to decode anything encrypted. Otherwise it's all blank screens.

5. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Too bad...

I hate paying - now $6 a month, for a card I can purchase for $3...

I will probably just get another Mini - but I sure would like user profiles.