1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynamic tuning issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by UCLABB, Nov 18, 2013.

1. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I just noticed that when you are recording three shows on the mother unit, you CANNOT get live TV on the Mini if on the mother unit the active tuner is not on one of the three programs recording. If you change the tuner on the mother unit onto one of the channels that is recording, then live TV is available on the Mini.

This isn't a good thing and I'm not sure why it is this way. Perhaps it is this way so two viewers, one on the mother unit, one on the Mini, don't interfere with each other, e.g., pausing, etc?

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Why isn't it a good thing?

The reason is as you state, that the TiVo can't be sure that there aren't separate viewers on both the host and the Mini. We would have many more complaints here if interference between viewers were possible!

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Active Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Thanks. I should have thought it through a bit more. Now I'll just have to remember to set the tuner on the mother unit to a channel that is or will be recording even though the conflict may be relatively rare. I don't want to have to run downstairs to change channels!

4. KenVa

KenVa Member

Aug 31, 2005
    I just noticed this problem even when the host DVR is in standby mode. Shouldn't it then allow you to take that last tuner?

5. Time_Slip

Time_Slip New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    So if your Roamio is recording 2 programs, only 1 of the minis has a live tuner (the Roamio has the other). I will have to send my Roamio Basic (4 tuner) back. 2 minis going all the time and the Roamio rarely. I can't move the Roamio because of a lack of component connections. Roamio plus or pro is not an option due to lack of of tuning in locals via antennae. I wish the standby mode would release at least 1 tuner for the minis. Otherwise love it.