1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynamic tuner allocation?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by Bwatford141, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1 of 78
    Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Could so,some please explain dynamic tuner allocation and its significance in regards to the mini.

2. Mar 7, 2013 #2 of 78
    takeagabu

takeagabu New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Without it you must sacrifice (all the time unless you disable it) one of the four tuner on your main DVR to allow live tv on the mini (turning your P4 to a P3). Dynamic allocation will make it so it will only use one tuner for live tv when available and you still have 4 tuners to use on your main DVR at all times.

3. Mar 7, 2013 #3 of 78
    Bwatford141

Bwatford141 Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks!

4. johnner1999

johnner1999 Member

Oct 26, 2002
    I stopped following this board and TiVo for awhile now so this may have been answered…

but is this feature available now at launch or is it coming “soon” via an update?

off topic - but this new Mini is what is bringing me back to TiVo :)

5. johnner1999

johnner1999 Member

Oct 26, 2002
    sorry for being a pseudo noob :)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=9562200#post9562200

6. Jun 4, 2013 #6 of 78
    dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    Is there any word about when Tivo will provide the dynamic tuning feature to the Mini? I do not understand why they are taking so long with this feature. I get concerned that they might pull the same thing they did with the Mini and P2 and delay it until the P5 and then say it will only work with their newest model. It should have been released when the Mini went on sale, I believe. Tivo's track record leaves something to be desired regarding updates. The Spring update did not have it and even that seems to have developed some problems.

7. Jun 4, 2013 #7 of 78
    NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    I've been getting a little restless as well.

I spent 250 bucks on this thing, with a Lifetime subscription, and I use it for streaming only because I don't want to lock out a tuner on my quad-tuner Premiere Elite I spent 400 bucks on.

As a longtime TiVo customer, I am used to this stuff though.

8. Jun 4, 2013 #8 of 78
    dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    It just does not seem that this should be hard to implement. It should be no different then when a message pops up asking if you want to change tuners for a scheduled recording. Is Tivo dragging their feet for a hidden reason?

9. Jun 4, 2013 #9 of 78
    NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    I think you made a great point when you mentioned about holding out for their next-gen box. I never thought of it that way.

I hope you are wrong! :eek:

10. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    This is Tivo folks. Long ago I accepted "coming soon" from Tivo (and other tech vendors for that matter) really means "maybe someday." I'm ready to upgrade a OLED S3 and get a Premiere + mini but this feature is something I won't live without. I want 4 tuners on my Premiere, I could live without the feature if my Premiere had 6 tuner to start with but alas we are not there yet.

11. DaveDFW

DaveDFW Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Richardson, TX
    What are the odds that dynamic tuner allocation will be a "Series 5" feature? I can already envision TiVo propagating a specious explanation why it won't work on the Premiere. :)

12. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Has TiVo ever said that a dynamic tuner option was in the works, or is this just speculation on the part of some Forum members ??
    Many people have said, purchase your TiVo if it now does what you want, don't count on any improvements until they come. I think that is good advice. For me, as example, OD was a great addition to my TP capabilities but I did not purchase them (at the time) for that option.

13. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Yes they have said it was coming

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Right after single M-Card for series 3 OLED units. :D

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I seriously doubt they're going to make this a "Series 5" only feature. They have MSO partners who also want this feature and who already have Premiere Qs deployed in the field.

Although I don't expect to see this until the fall. We just got an update a few weeks ago. It's highly unlikely they'll release another update any time soon. If they were going to meet their Q2 estimate it would have been part of the update we just received. At this point I'm betting we see the next update sometime around when the new units are released.

16. dhoward

dhoward Member

Mar 15, 2002
    That update seems to have stopped being issued due to problems based on some of the threads on this forum. None of my tivos has received it yet.

17. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    The update was never automatically pushed.. Only people who signed up for it got it

18. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Did anybody get this update on their Mini, you could not sign up the Mini itself but I did sign up my TP-4s and got the update on all of them, but not the Mini.

19. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I looked at one of my Minis last night and the software version is 20.3.1. That's the new update, right? I did NOT sign up any of my Tivos to get this update. I haven't looked at the system info on my P4 or other Mini to see if they're on the same version.

20. Austin Bike

Austin Bike New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Are you a developer? If not, you probably don't understand the complexity of what they are trying to do. Having been in product development for many many years I can assure you that they probably aren't dragging their feet. There is always pressure in organizations to get things out quickly.

My gut tells me that this is more complex than they anticipated. They can't spin silicon because units are already in the field, so they have to do it all in software. That can be the issue.