1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVR Expander on Roamio... More than 1 brand?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by IowaGuy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. IowaGuy

IowaGuy New Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Hello.

Has anybody had any success with a "non WD" eSata hard drive connoted to the Roamio with any success?

I am a new user and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you so much.

All my best,
    Matt

2. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Just install your own fresh drive in the box, super simple and cheap.

There is only one expander.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The WD expander is the only one supported. If you try to use another brand the TiVo will not allow it to be paired. (software limitation)

As for what jrtroo said... The Roamio DVRs have made upgrading the internal drive very easy. You can simply drop a blank drive up to 3TB into the Roamio and it will format it and install the software automatically. It's recommended you get an AV drive to insure performance standards, but it's not required and people have had success with non-AV drives.

4. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I would certainly recommend staying away from external drives as well. But you should be aware that dropping in a replacement internal drive means you will lose all current settings and recordings you may have and you will need to go through guided setup again and possibly lose cable card pairing. i.e. It's like starting with a new TiVo again.