1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by nomad60, Nov 29, 2012.

1. nomad60

nomad60 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    I sometimes want to put movies on a dvd that I recorded on my Tive series 4.
    The only way I know how to do this, is to play the movie from the Tivo, and set the dvd recorder manually to record.
    This gives me a dvd that plays in my dvd recorder/player, but If I want to make a copy for a friend, it won't work. The copier I have won't recognise the disc. Same problem with my computer.
    Tivo tech support thinks it's because the movie gets saved as a .tivo file.
    Is there a way to make the disc universally readable?

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    VideoRedo TV Suite

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You probably have to finalize the disc in the recorder before other DVD players will recognize the disc.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo Desktop (or Plus) does not make DVDs. If your computer is a Windows system, you can use VideoReDo TVSuite. It allows you to edit/remove parts of video such as commercials, and then make a DVD that will play on other DVD players. It is a one step process after adding content and clicking on 'Make DVD". When it is done, the DVD is playable on any player.

There is another program called VideoReDo Plus, but the main difference is that it does not make DVDs.

5. nomad60

nomad60 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    In response to Tivo support, the suggested answers supplied are PC oriented;
    I have a Mac.
    The desktop app for Mac is for pictures and music.
    After doing a lot of research, I think I found the answer. Roxio Toast 11 on my Mac has an app included called "Tivo Transfer", which might solve the problem.
    I assume this would allow me to stream a movie from the Tivo to my computer, where I can burn it in Toast.
    It's too bad that Tivo doesn't really understand Mac.

6. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    And .... it's too bad you didn't mention you were using a Mac in your first post. :p

7. Eddief66

Eddief66 Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Corpus...
    That's BS. You're recorder is recording video and audio, not a file. Unless it was made by Tivo, and we know it wasn't, it's not going to record in .tivo format.

I agree with Arcady, you need to finalize the disc.

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't think TiVo wants anywhere near that walled garden.
    I can't say I blame them. :p

9. nomad60

nomad60 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    The recorder did finalise the disc. That's done automatically, because I set it that way.

10. nomad60

nomad60 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    So far, all I see are 2 choices if I'm away from the tv.
    First, I can record to Tivo, then play it back and set my recorder to record the show or movie. The problem there is that I can't make a copy. The recording can't be copied, but will play on my dvd player/recorder.
    I used Toast 11 to transfer a movie to my Mac, and discovered I had a .tivo file.
    I used a program called Movado to convert this to something normal, no luck.

11. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    For a PC, there is TivoDecode. It removes the .tivo DRM and its a normal .mpg. Not sure if there is a mac version.

12. nomad60

nomad60 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Thanks for that info. I'll look for a Mac version of Tivodecode.