1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duplicate season passes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by igirl, Jan 7, 2013.

1. igirl

igirl Tivo and EyeTV User

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    What happens if you add duplicates on SPs - is it smart enough to only record it once - or does it record two?

2. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Normally, if the guide data is correct. I have Season Passes for "Doctor Who" from 3 different sources BBCAHD, SYFYHD and CBET (Canadian) the TiVo does not record duplicates. Looking at my Season pass manager I also have a leftover duplicate Season Pass on the SD channel BBCA making the total 4. Even when the program was in the guide for all 4 channels The DVR recorded only one copy.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    It's very difficult to have a true duplicate SP. Remember that SPs are channel specific. If you try to set an SP when one already exists, it doesn't ask to create a new one, the TiVo instead will ask about modifying the existing one.

If you have SPs for the same show on different channels, it follows the normal SP rules. Which means it is quite possible you will get multiple recordings. Depends on the conditions (FRO, new broadcast, etc).

4. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    …and if you need to record the same show on multiple channels, OFTEN a better solution is an auto-recording wishlist..

I won't say always, since in some cases, it's more trouble than it's worth (e.g. Nova), though I think I still have that as an ARWL. I get a lot of false hits though.. (and heck, for a lot of my generic, e.g. juggling, ARWLs, every couple of months I have to keep nuking the same recordings in the To Do list.. I really wish I could easily add NOT THAT SHOW to the WL.. rather than trying to manually add a -KEYWORD.)

5. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks all - OK, what happened was I had season passes that weren't recording - so I added them again online. Guess I will soon find out. Some of those online entries took forever to get added to the box so I added them on the box again too! All on the same channel, same time.

The Tivo was just being stupid and not seeing NEW episodes (Merlin new season 5 was one example).

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    BBC shows like Merlin you cannot set to Record 1st Run only as the Original Air Date is when it 1st airs in England several months ago. That's one of those shows you have to set as 1st run and repeats, then once in a while you have to cancel repeat marathons from ToDo list.

7. igirl

Feb 5, 2011
    Sarasota, FL
    Thanks I kind of figured it was something odd like that for Merlin.

My duplicate season passes all have been processed - "All upcoming episodes of this Season Pass have been scheduled and now appear in the To Do List."

It appears that for existing SPS (already in my list), they were simply merged/replaced in place. New ones were added at the bottom of the To Do List.