1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DST, time to clean your season passes

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dr_Zoidberg, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    (I figured I'd post this here as opposed to the off-topic forums, since it is TiVo-related)

I have been doing this for myself for a while, and thought I'd share.

Daylight Savings Time transition is time to clean your Tivo. It's time to remove your "extra" Season Passes, shows you don't watch, shows that were cancelled or have ended, and shows you only watch because you were recording them. So, tell us which ones you're deleting, and tell us how many remain.

For me, it's: Fringe, The Closer, The Simpsons, Setup, Glee, Cougartown on ABC, STar Trek: TNG on BBCA, Eureka, Aftermath with William Shatner, Swamp Brothers, An Idiot Abroad, The Exes, Life's Too Short, Katy Brand's Big Ass Show, Stephen Hawking's Sci Fi Masters, Top Gear (US), Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23, Rookie Blue, Sullivan and Son, Ben and Kate, 1600 Penn, and Dan Vs.

22 removed, 121 passes still remain.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I remove them when a show is cancelled or ends, pretty simple. Problem is for some obscure cable shows, you never really know if it's over.

3. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    That's part of the process. If you're not sure of a show's status, search back through your memories and if it's been a year or more since you've seen new episodes, delete it.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    OK, as long as you don't tell me to change the batteries in my smoke detector.

It really sucks that a network can hype a new show for months, then unceremoniously cancel it without a single announcement, leaving the (often millions!) of people who did watch the show wondering where it went. Even the all-knowing Internet sometimes can't answer the question "Is X cancelled?", because the networks leave the show's status in limbo for, it seems, as long as possible. And then, even truly cancelled shows sometimes have a few more episodes pop back up as "burn off". So it can be very difficult to know when to cancel a Season Pass.

So yeah, I like your guideline, "if it's been a year or more". But then again, there are some shows where even that won't work, where I know they aren't cancelled, but have hiatuses longer than a year. Lucky this is rare.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I have a total of 31 season passes, more than half of them my sister's, between four TiVos. Before my sister moved in with me, I had about 11. It's not a big issue.

6. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think mine is somewhere near lrhorer's, around 11 or so. For a while I was keeping some "canceled before their time" shows on the season pass list for sentimental reasons, but then I realized that was stupid and that wouldn't bring them back, so I removed them.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    <chuckle> That tickles me. :)

I guess it's all good, though, as long as you don't mention smoke detector batteries around William. :D

8. news4me2

news4me2 Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    "Even the all-knowing Internet sometimes can't answer the question "Is X cancelled?" <- Spot on... Three of my questionable SP's are for: (HBO) Veep & Enlightened / (USA) Suits

9. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Batteries? My house was built in 2004 and, according to local code, has smoke detectors in almost every room - all tied into house power. Still scratching my head over that one.

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    I do this pretty much every Saturday.
    and DST time isn't exactly the optimal time to do this if you're only doing it once or twice a year.

11. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Not to steer this thread the wrong way but hardwired smoke detectors typically do have battery backups in case of power failure.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

A 3rd season of Suits was announced last October and it is right there in the last episode of season 2 (while the closing credits ran) "This summer, when Suits returns with an all new season" followed by clips from the show.

13. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I need to clean my out but a lot of them are odd shows which randomly air new episodes every time you think it is over.

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I usually remove my SPs during Christmas and during the Summer. When there usually aren't as many things scheduled on my TiVos.

15. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If I cancel a Season Pass because a favorite program's season has ended, I set up a reminder at Calendar.Google.com about 6 months out to check that show's Wikipedia page to see if/when it's coming back. This recently came in handy when "Stan Lee's Superhumans", "Touch", and "Comic Book Men" returned with new episodes after a long hiatus.

16. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    As scania noted Suits is coming back for 3rd season which was decided in Oct.

"ADDITIONAL NOTES:
    renewed through the 2013-14 season (the show's third of 16 episodes) on 10/12/12"

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/suits/

Out of the 3 seems that Enlightened is on the bubble.

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/enlightened/

Veep returns Sunday April 14th

http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch/veep/

As you can see I use FutonCritic as my go to site on shows. Another suggestion I would recommend on FutonCritic is to use their Guide. I print it out and go through with a highlighter to make my list of season passes.

Finally they have this page which tells you the most up to date (by what they know) status of shows:

http://thefutoncritic.com/guide/when-does-insert-show-name-here-come-back/

17. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I wonder if people really need to do this as much. I have enough room on my TiVo and with 4 tuners I schedule my big 4 network season passes at the top (CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC) as those typically do not have repeats while the other shows I record on other networks (AMC, TBS, MTV, Spike, etc.) will repeat multiple times. If a show is canceled it won't do anything to my recordings. Now I am not saying just let season passes pile up, as I do clean mine up, but no need to set a time to do it, just whenever I feel like it.

18. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I can go a long time with old, out dated season passes still kicking around on my TiVo. Especially ones on cable channels that are further down on the SP Manager list. AFIK, TiVo has no limit like some other DVRs do. I can keep 'em around and it doesn't hurt. (also, sometimes it makes me sad to delete a SP for a show that is long gone)

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Yes they do and just like ones that are only battery-powered, the batteries will die at 1am-3am in the morning and start chirping at you. What's worse is with the hard-wired ones, they are all wired together so if one goes of (or the battery starts failing) they all go off.

Scott

20. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I've said this before, but when shows are cancelled but have unaired episodes, I usually move the SPs to the *top* of the SP manager, to catch summertime burn offs.. and maybe after a year or two clean them up. (Though I know I've left a few around as a "what was the name of that show?" reminder.)